What's new

Limiting number of replies in a thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol this kind of attitude was exactly why I stopped replying to posts here and rarely visits the website now. It looks like the website is slowly moving from an open community to a dictatorial regime. I'm glad I part ways at the right time.

There does not appear to be consistency in the application of the new rules?

They seem to apply mostly to the new "Asuswrt-Merlin AddOns" standalone Sub-Forum.
Several threads in the main Asuswrt-Merlin Forum [for e.g. the donation thread] go back many years, never mind 6 months.

In addition MOST of the past threads on Add-ons have been left behind in the main forum instead of being carried across to the Add-Ons sub-forum ??
Just do a "Better Search" in the original Asuswrt-Merlin Forum for any of the popular add-ons and you will find thousands of posts for add-ons left behind.

Strange o_O?

Not strange. If you try to reply to any thread that was started more than 6 months back from Nov 1, you will get an error message. That rule is applied consistently across all forums. Threads are left as they were as of Nov 1, whether they had 2 or 20,000 replies.

When the AddOns forum was created, Merlin decided which add-ons to move to the AddOns sub-forum.
We also did not create prefix labels for all AddOns because we didn't want the pick list to get too long. I've kind of deviated a bit from that rule recently. But, in general, we won't create a prefix label for every little script hack that is done. For those mods that don't get prefix labels, thread creators can continue the practice of putting a AddOn name in the thread title, enclosed in brackets, i.e. [MyLittleModName].

Merlin is the decider of whether a mod/hack belongs in the AddOns subforum. Start a private conversation with him to please your case.

I spent nearly half an hour going back through the last 60 pages of forum posts to locate threads that needed to be moved. If there is another thread that was older than the span I covered, just let me know. I can't spend 6 hours of my time going back through 8 years of posts.

There is no benefit to this change, all it has caused is turmoil and division in this once peaceful community. If Tim can’t realise this, it speaks volumes.

Yup , the change needed is moderation of the forums. The Merlin threads , especially the alpha/beta/release threads are always the same, at least 60% of the content is non relevant dross , people not bothering to read existing posts, people asking unrelated questions and holding long winded discussions.

I gave up looking at those threads long ago as they became such hard work and now having non Merlin routers don't bother reading any of those sections at all.

Placing a time limit will do absolutely nothing whatsoever for the quality of the forum content.

Geesh I hate this change... Where to find latest news about Skynet for example? I see topic discussing issues but wish there was a single thread from dev. I wanted to see how it would goes before talking about the change but now that it is done I can tell I don't like it.

If I have a suggestion, why there is not subforums under
Asuswrt-Merlin AddOns
for every addons instead of relying on prefix?

Would be much easier to jump into a subs we have interest in and refresh the page from time to time.

I was used to keep a few threads open and just refresh those and start reading from last time. Now it's totally not convenient.

Geesh I hate this change... Where to find latest news about Skynet for example? I see topic discussing issues but wish there was a single thread from dev. I wanted to see how it would goes before talking about the change but now that it is done I can tell I don't like it.

If I have a suggestion, why there is not subforums under
Asuswrt-Merlin AddOns
for every addons instead of relying on prefix?

Would be much easier to jump into a subs we have interest in and refresh the page from time to time.

I was used to keep a few threads open and just refresh those and start reading from last time. Now it's totally not convenient.

The default style is crap and very bad for SEO , far too many images which distract attention from the content, in fact the entire site fails miserably on the online SEO checkers, especially bad are the HTTPS /HTTP link errors.

Anyway, you might want to try changing the forum style , go to your profile > Preferences > Style and change to " vB 3 .x-Fluid " , the layout is somewhat different.

WOW I've been so buried that I missed this change until I hit refresh on my browser and tried to post to one of the now "locked" forums. :( Highly disappointing.

I keep pages open I'm interested in following and hit refresh when I want to catch up. This change now disrupts that efficient operating mode I've used for years to have a broad reach across content. Now we (subscribers) have to waste time searching thru lists of very likely posts which I care nothing about. From a support PoV, I see how this would be a nightmare for the developers and product support having to open and read every thread posting. Should there be some division - and I think splitting off "Add-On" from the main Merlin thread is viable. These have developed enough to live on their own without cluttering Eric's main focus. What works for one person does not work for all. Diversity is the best means for a species (and a forum) to survive - along with $ to pay for hosting.

Improving the former just awful search facility is a positive and welcome move. Thank You.
Putting the Merlin "Add-Ons" into their own "sub-thread" seems very helpful to us and Eric. Thank You.

In reading every post in this thread, the root cause was stated as "blocking Google Analytics" which directly points to revenue and revenue data.

If this comes down to revenue, then I'd gladly pay a reasonable subscription fee to NOT see ads which waste far more of MY valuable time b/c I am not compensated for having to endure, visually process and dismiss them otherwise. The social media *@(@* + their ad-revenue models have levied a huge burden / tax on the internet, our eye-balls, our time and our lives while laughing all the way to the bank.

These business models in essence amount to cyber-stalking users with covert tracking systems / analytics followed by harassment by ads forced onto YOUR browsers. I'm surprised some enterprising young law firm has not taken a class-action run at this model - there's a lot of $$ hiding in those social media pockets.

Either way, I'll give this change a chance b/c what other viable options remain that are not equal or worse? I have visually noticed an increase in "noise levels" on the Merlin forums with this change. So far - NOT A FAN.

I will follow the developers where they go for their support and tooling which makes the ASUS routers unique and in a class of their own. Why? There is a huge community of vibrant developers who have, as a team, completely changed the capabilities of these important, yet often overlooked security devices. Their due diligence, dedication and interest have made ASUS routers + Merlin + AMTM + Add-Ons nearly on par with pfSense and other more expensive and complex solutions. Thank You. Stay safe, stay alive. Peace.

Last edited:
I'll go with whatever the majority decide is best, love this place and the characters here. I feel a sense of belonging here I don't get in the real world as much. I've lived here for 7 years on and off.

Seem SNB is becoming a victim of its own success.

Fully trust the wisdom of Eric and Tim to sort it, while fully respect and want to keep the expertise of Adam , LC and others on board.

Trust there will be an amicable agreement in the end from all parties. Let's be pragmatic here.

Perhaps threads over a year old that have had no views and no posts could fall off the server to make room for new ones. I mean old boring threads die, new interesting ones rise right?

Also why isn't there a big DONATE here button to contribute to the upkeep of the site. Pretty sure it could raise as much as adverts. Some wealthy characters lurking around the place no doubts.

Love to all.

Matt

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!