What's new

Link aggregation between 2 AX88U routers (Main and AP)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Smokindog

I've got multiple AX88U, AX86S and AC3100 routers set up in a star config with an AX88u as the main and all other routers in AP mode hardwired to the main (AP WAN port to a LAN port on the main AX88U). All routers run Merlin.

I have multiple media servers and other devices in my office where there is an AX88U operating in AP mode. There are two available Gb (CAT5E) connections back to the main AX88U from this AX88U AP (one currently in use).

I was wondering if I could use link aggregation of a WAN+LAN port on the office AX88U (AP) to connect to 2 LAN+LAN ports on the main AX88U router to increase available bandwidth to all my media devices in my office on the local network.

If it matters, all my servers and APs already have fixed assignments of IP addresses in the main router.

I've got multiple AX88U, AX86S and AC3100 routers set up in a star config with an AX88u as the main and all other routers in AP mode hardwired to the main (AP WAN port to a LAN port on the main AX88U). All routers run Merlin.

I have multiple media servers and other devices in my office where there is an AX88U operating in AP mode. There are two available Gb (CAT5E) connections back to the main AX88U from this AX88U AP (one currently in use).

I was wondering if I could use link aggregation of a WAN+LAN port on the office AX88U (AP) to connect to 2 LAN+LAN ports on the main AX88U router to increase available bandwidth to all my media devices in my office on the local network.

If it matters, all my servers and APs already have fixed assignments of IP addresses in the main router.
Not sure if this is a relavent response to what you're trying to do, but I have run my AX88U with LACP active on WAN with WAN port and LAN Port 4 while also LACP with LAN ports 1+2 to a managed switch.

edit: Use LAN ports 1+ 2 for link agg, not ports 2+3 as stated earlier.

Last edited:
I tested it on RT-AX86U and 2.5GbE port, doesn't work as it should:

I tested it on RT-AX86U and 2.5GbE port, doesn't work as it should:
What firmware version? I tried using current Merlin 386.8 for WAN Link agg, same router as before, and I cannot get WAN LACP to work even after factory reset. This was working with an earlier fw version, I just haven't gone backwards to see which. I note the newly released 388 for AX88U has a version note about correcting WAN link agg in UI. So I'm waiting for Merlin to release an update with that fw before trying again. This isn't critical for me, just a nice to have, whether I notice any actual throughput increase or not. And frankly, nothing I'm doing on home network requires it.

I am using RT-AX86U:
Firmware Version:386.7_2

For switch i am using: HPE A5120-48G SI 52 port switch:
Firmware Version: 5.20 Release 1519P06

On the switch i have LACP enabled LAN17,LAN18 (2.0Gbit/s)
On the router i have LACP enabled LAN1, LAN2 (2.0Gbit/s)

Router:
1662797902175.png

52 port Switch:
1662798155748.png

I have this problem, when i am transfering files to PC:

Configuration:
SWITCH > LACP 2.0Gbit > RT-AX86U > 2.5GbE port > PC with 2.5GbE adapter

Speed from other PC's to my mainPC (RECEIVING IS OK):
Speed is 2.0 Gbit/s, from other PC's to this main PC.

Speed from my mainPC to other PC's (SENDING IS CAPPED AT 1Gbit/s):
When i want to transfer files from my main PC to network (different PC's) i am capped at 1Gbit/s.

I have latest drivers for 2.5GbE adapter and it shows full duplex 2.5Gbit connected to RT-AX86U.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!