What's new

Link Aggregation Between Arris SB8200 And Ax11000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

matthew johnson

Regular Contributor
I have a Arris Sb8200 And the Rog Gt-AX11000. The modem was recently updated by Comcast and now supports link aggregation. My question is this do I take the two ethernet cables and plug them into slot 1 and 2 and turn on link aggregation in the router? I am pretty sure I can't do dual wan cause I don't have two separate IP addresses. Apparently Comcast doesn't offer that unless you have business class. Or could i just set up dual wan and use static IP on both and enter the same IP address on each one. But I think that would create some sort of conflict. If any one has any knowledge on this I would greatly appreciate the help.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure your Asus only supports link aggregation on its LAN ports.

I don't believe so, only the 2.5G port can be used as either wan or lan/
Do you have an internet connection greater than 1gbit?

Last edited:
Not Yet but Comcast is said to be offering or testing 2gbit in my area soon. Was just messing around with stuff to see how things work?

Well... in that case
You would need a switch that supports both 2.5Gbit and port aggregation to make it work

I have an RT-AX88U. I am running Merlin stable release 384.9. I have an Arris SB8200 cable modem with Comcast.

I am using LAN link aggregation between a switch which supports it (Cisco SG300-10) and LAN ports 1 and 2 on the router. This is supported in a stable firmware release. I tried it for no particular reason and have not tried to push more than a gigabit through it with multiple streams which would hopefully not hash the same.

There is a non-Merlin beta firmware for the RT-AX88U which supports WAN aggregation on the WAN port and LAN port 4.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1DHnFgHGtQ180CVDLV8hLUrLVfoNc1_M3

@matthew johnson is reporting that his modem now supports aggregation and also that for business class Comcast supports dual WAN. My Comcast firmware for the SB8200 does not enable the second Ethernet port. I am at the maximum download speed (480 Mbps) where a technician does not have to come onsite.

Hypothetically I would need a plus gigabit Comcast plan, cable modem firmware supporting aggregation and firmware aggregation support enabled on the router before I could connect two Ethernet cables between the SB8200 and the RT-AX88U.

Last edited:
I have an RT-AX88U. I am running Merlin stable release 384.9. I have an Arris SB8200 cable modem with Comcast.

I am using LAN link aggregation between a switch which supports it (Cisco SG300-10) and LAN ports 1 and 2 on the router. This is supported in a stable firmware release. I tried it for no particular reason and have not tried to push more than a gigabit through it with multiple streams which would hopefully not hash the same.

There is a non-Merlin beta firmware for the RT-AX88U which supports WAN aggregation on the WAN port and LAN port 4.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1DHnFgHGtQ180CVDLV8hLUrLVfoNc1_M3

@matthew johnson is reporting that his modem now supports aggregation and also that for business class Comcast supports dual WAN. My Comcast firmware for the SB8200 does not enable the second Ethernet port. I am at the maximum download speed (480 Mbps) where a technician does not have to come onsite.

Hypothetically I would need a plus gigabit Comcast plan, cable modem firmware supporting aggregation and firmware aggregation support enabled on the router before I could connect two Ethernet cables between the SB8200 and the RT-AX88U.
I have the Asus AX11000 and the Arris SB8200 and I haven't been able to get WAN aggregation to work even thought all my devices support it. My modem SB8200 has the option to enable link aggregation in the advanced menu and when I turn it on the second port lights up and seems to sync with the first. On my router AX11000 I go into the WAN settings and enable WAN aggregation and plugin to the WAN port and port 4 to the two modem ports. But I'm not seeing the message Asus says I should see in the options for the router. I've tried resetting both devices from scratch and other mixes and matches to no avail. Anyone get this to work or have any suggestions. I'm on the latest software for everything BTW. Thank you in advance...