What's new

Linksys E4200: 2 units dead, 5gz keeps dying

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aphexacid

Occasional Visitor
I bought an e4200 about 2 months ago. It worked perfectly for 3 weeks. Then all of the sudden, the 5ghz connection started dropping. Then it's disappeared completely and it would not show up in a network search. Then the 2.4 ghz started going crazy. I reset it completely, that didn't work. I let it sit for half a day, nothing.*
I sent it back to newegg and got a replacement.*

When the 2nd one came in, it worked fine until the next day. 5ghz cut out. I called linksys support and they were no *help. I reflashed to 1001 firmware and it mysteriously came back to normal. It was working perfect until today. 3 weeks later.*

5ghz went out, and never came back. I reflashed 1001, nothing. Reset, nothing. Flashed the new 1002 firmware, nothing. 2.4ghz still kind of works, but the speed is barely 5mbps.*

I'm at a freaking loss right now. This was the best performing router I have tried, of all the top models available right now. The only one I haven't tried is the netgear wndr4000, and that model is essentially the same as the e4200.*

Newegg is giving me a store credit. And I don't know what to do. Do I try a 3rd one??

I need major suggestions please!

Honestly, if I was on my upcoming 3rd of anything, I would just move on to another brand/model. I was tempted to get the same router as you, but gave the Asus RT-56U a try and so far I haven't had any issues at all with it.

While the Linksys may perform a bit better than most, its probably not worth the headache of dealing with less reliability for the router. Kinda sounds like the 5Ghz just wears it out maybe?

Sorry for the hardware loss though. I would go for whatever top tier router you have used previously that had no hardware issues, may not perform as you are use to but it at least works. I'm sure Linksys will sometime make a new revision to the hardware that might fix that 5Ghz issue.

Thanks for the quick reply man.

I actually own the RT-N56U as well. I got a killer deal on it, and couldnt pass it up. I'm using it now. The reason i'm so stuck on the E4200 is because in my condo, it gives me the best wireless performance by far. 5Ghz is strong and stable, until the mofo just dies.

I can't find anyone else complaining about this. I suppose it could over heat or something, but i have it sitting all by itself on a wooden table. I guess i could try putting something under its feet to heighten it and give it better airflow, but why the hell should i have to do that?

i read guys talking about "i've had my e4200 for months and its rock solid". yeah? doing what???? thats what i wanna know.

I just dont understand it. And apparently neither does Linksys. their support is SO damn bad. its seriously a joke.

I was 20 days past my return period, because i guess newegg counts it from the date of your ORIGINAL purchase. I thought that it would be from the time my replacement got invoiced.
So i guess they hooked me up.

i already miss the damn thing. The blue lights on this Asus are seriously annoying.

Only thing I can possibly think of is maybe you have an environment issue, like your power outlet is causing a issue?

When it comes to electricity, you could have dirty current or small spikes in the current that might cause damage to your devices (some more than others maybe).

Other than bad luck or bad ventilation, I can't think of much else that would be a issue. I generally always use a UPS unit with AVR (auto voltage regulation also known as line conditioning) with my electronics to make sure power outages or weird little electrical issues don't harm my invested gear.

Try another power outlet, or maybe pick one of those UPS units with AVR up and use it to test out the outlet you are using, most of those UPSes have a light to tell you if there's a issue with the outlet not being grounded properly. In apartments, older homes, and condos...that could be a more common issue when your power lines are shared between rooms, ect.

Sorry for the long reply, but that's really all I can think of at the moment.

i do actually have a fairly decent power strip. I paid about $70 bucks for it about 4 or 5 years ago at Costco. Its got the Ground light you're talking about, and its apparently ok

:confused: :confused: :confused: :(

does it have the AVR, automatic voltage regulator on it? some UPS units don't have this (usually the cheaper models), while others do. The ground or wiring fault as it's usually called should be OFF, not ON. Depends on each UPS unit, but so far the ones I have seen Belkin and CyberPower....they generally have to have their wiring fault light OFF for it to say your outlet is safe for use.

I use this one to be specific: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102082

Other than that, no idea. Maybe Newegg just has a bad batch, revision.

This one tells you when its "Protecting" and if there is a Ground. And both lights are on.

Any way i can test this otherwise?

Not unless you use a voltage meter, otherwise you could try another outlet somewhere else in your home with a new router. Then again i assume your other routers worked fine on the same outlet right? How long did it take for each linksys router to fail?

Yeah, i've used a linksys WRT54GL for 6 years in the same spot, and now the Asus RT-N56U, and both work fine.

It took both of the failed E4200's about 3 weeks to kick the bucket.

I can tell you that. Here is how my home network looks currently.

Ubee U10C035 docsis 3.0 modem (Charter cable 60mb/5mb service)
Linksys E4200
Desktop (wired)
Laptop (wireless 5GHz band)
Directv HR24-500 (wired)
Nintendo Wii (wireless 2.4GHz band)
Xbox 360 (wired)
Guest Network enabled for who ever comes over to visit.

Purchase date at Best Buy for the router was on 03/02/2011. Up time. The only time it has needed rebooting is when I updated the router twice to new firmware versions. Which to me is a pretty damn solid up time imo. Either you have the absolute worst luck on the planet with this router. Or you might have a unknown electrical problem or maybe even a defective power strip since you said it is 5-6 years old? I have my equipment plugged into a apc ups. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842101344&cm_re=apc_350-_-42-101-344-_-Product This is my 3rd Linksys router purchase over the years of course with them being different models. None have failed on me. Knock on wood. My last router from Linksys was a WRT54GL. Even if my E4200 did kick the bucket under warranty. I would not be mad at all since it would be a first for me and they have always been solid.

Thanks for the quick reply man.

I actually own the RT-N56U as well. I got a killer deal on it, and couldnt pass it up. I'm using it now. The reason i'm so stuck on the E4200 is because in my condo, it gives me the best wireless performance by far. 5Ghz is strong and stable, until the mofo just dies.

I can't find anyone else complaining about this. I suppose it could over heat or something, but i have it sitting all by itself on a wooden table. I guess i could try putting something under its feet to heighten it and give it better airflow, but why the hell should i have to do that?

i read guys talking about "i've had my e4200 for months and its rock solid". yeah? doing what???? thats what i wanna know.

I just dont understand it. And apparently neither does Linksys. their support is SO damn bad. its seriously a joke.

I was 20 days past my return period, because i guess newegg counts it from the date of your ORIGINAL purchase. I thought that it would be from the time my replacement got invoiced.
So i guess they hooked me up.

i already miss the damn thing. The blue lights on this Asus are seriously annoying.

Last edited:
alright alright!

I'm going to pick up a new surge protector sometime before my new E4200 comes.

What do you guys think about me getting some rubber feet for it? Any time i ever used to touch the E4200's i had, they were never blazing hot or anything. just warm.

I cant believe this is such a dilemma.

I will say that now i've been using this ASUS RT-N56U, its better than having to default to using my WRT54GL, but man do i miss my E4200.

The asus is seriously ugly. Early 2000 blue led's all over the place. And much worse wifi performace. I had to go back to using 2.4ghz on my HDX because 5Ghz is just not reaching well at all.

sigh....

The rubber feet is up to you. Imo. If you look under the router. It has enough breathing clearance. Mine does run a bit warmer then I like. But, it has never caused me a issue.

Went to radioshack, got some rubber feet.

Bought a new surge protector that got stellar ratings on newegg.

Again, properly ground as far as the indicator goes. Everything else here has been working perfectly for years. asus rt-n56u has been working flawlessly.

New E4200 is coming this week.

Lets see what happens. Last shot for the E4200. 3rd time better be the damn charm.