What's new

Review Linksys MX8500 Atlas Max 6E Wi-Fi Mesh System Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Product Review
I got it. I was able to check the sysinfo.cgi and it’s wired full 1GB speed. I was in error though how I had it hooked up initially.

I wonder, when 5 gigabit internet connections become readily available in the consumer/ home market, how many people will still be using the Linksys MX8500?
They need to make a model where all of the Ethernet ports are 2.5GbE, or have 4-5 2.5GbE ports, and a single 5 or 10GbE port for your NAS.

I wonder, when 5 gigabit internet connections become readily available in the consumer/ home market, how many people will still be using the Linksys MX8500?
They need to make a model where all of the Ethernet ports are 2.5GbE, or have 4-5 2.5GbE ports, and a single 5 or 10GbE port for your NAS.
5Gbps is compatible with 2.5Gbps, so it's not that big of a deal, but 5Gbps seems to be the least popular speed when it comes to things faster than 1Gbps. Even 10Gbps is more popular and the price difference, at least for a NIC, is only about $15-20 in most cases.

While compatible, the main idea that I was focusing on is that the specs are so imbalanced that the 5GbE port cannot be properly used, especially considering that router makers never release the full details of how the internal IO is being used. For example, some consumer routers will have the 4 1GbE port switch connecting to the SOC using either an internally routed 1GbE port, or an interconnect that tops out at about 250MB/s, but they will then connect a 5GbE port to the SOC. Usually the only way to find out, is to connect 4 or so endpoints to the 1GbE switch ports, and a higher speed client on the 5GbE port, as well as 1 or more on 802.11ax and then have the 4 1GbE endpoints benchmark aggregate throughput to the wireless and 5GbE clients simultaneously to see what the bottleneck is for the gigabit switch ports.

5Gbps is compatible with 2.5Gbps, so it's not that big of a deal, but 5Gbps seems to be the least popular speed when it comes to things faster than 1Gbps. Even 10Gbps is more popular and the price difference, at least for a NIC, is only about $15-20 in most cases.

A limitation of this router that I have found so far is that running in bridge mode the WAN port only runs at 1Gbps. This limits your backhaul to only 1Gbps even though you're connected to a switch capable of 5Gbps via the WAN port. I hope that this can be fixed in an update but as of now it's a pretty big limitation and a bit of false advertising from Linksys.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!