What's new

News Linksys Starts Shipping 6E Mesh System, Announces $500 6E Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
Updated: Linksys today announced it has started shipping its 6E Mesh Wi-Fi System that was announced during this January's virtual CES 2021. It also unveiled a new $500 6E router.

linksys_atlas_max_6e_product.jpg

The Atlas Max 6E was announced as the AXE8400 Wi-Fi 6E Mesh System in January. The tri-radio (2.4/5/6 GHz) mesh system still is priced at an eye-popping $1200 for the three-pack that's available today from Linksys' online store. The $450 $500 single and $850 $900 two-pack SKUs don't appear to be available yet.

The Atlas Max 6E is based on Qualcomm's Networking Pro 1210 Platform featuring three four-stream radios and powered by a 2.2 GHz quad-core processor backed by 512 MB RAM and 1 GB of flash. The 2.4 GHz (1147 Mbps maximum link rate @ 40 MHz bandwidth) and 5 GHz (2402 Mbps maximum link rate @ 80 MHz bandwidth) radios support client connection and the 6 GHz (4804 Mbps maximum link rate @ 160 MHz bandwidth) is dedicated to backhaul duties. Ports include a 5 Gbps WAN port, four switched gigabit Ethernet LAN ports and USB 3.0 port for storage sharing

The Hydra Pro 6E is Linksys' offering for those preferring a less-expensive 6E traditional single-point router. The $500 MSRP router is also available today from Linksys' online store and is based on Qualcomm's Networking Pro 810 platform with a 1.8 GHz quad-core processor and 512 MB each of RAM and flash.
linksys_hydra_pro_product.jpg
Radio complement is two-stream 2.4 GHz (600 Mbps maximum link rate @ 40 MHz bandwidth), two-stream 5 GHz (1201 Mbps maximum link rate @ 80 MHz bandwidth [no 160 MHz bandwidth support]) and four-stream 6 GHz (4804 Mbps maximum link rate @ 160 MHz bandwidth). Ports include a 5 Gbps WAN port, four switched gigabit Ethernet LAN ports and USB 3.0 port for storage sharing

Last edited:
I think you meant to use Mhz rather than Mbps for bandwidth though :).

Curious if they waste the first 160MHz of bandwidth in the 6GHz area. I am sure your tests will let us know! :)

I'm not sure what you mean by this...
As in the Asus AXE11000 where the poor filtering leads to the loss of the first 80-160MHz of UNII5. Instead of dealing with it, manufacturers are just cutting out that portion of the new bandwidth. The DR/Cavity filters used in the spectrum below are not very "steep skirted", meaning they trail off gradually above 5.9GHz. Because of that, the AXE11000 can't utilize channels 1-29. There are new filters out that will allow full use, so I wonder if Linksys was able to include them on this new model. I will check the FCC website to see if internal pics are available, but probably not yet.

I remember the discussion now. I suspect this will be common practice. Sharper filters cost more, don't they?

Yes, they would be more, but not orders of magnitude. The newer filters are also a tiny fraction of the size. It would really help reduce the footprint on the board.

AM I reading that correct? 5Gps WAN port? Not too shabby, seems one thing is increasing quickly and that is bandwidth. Here I thought 2.5Gbps was more then enough, I mean with modems just moving to adding a 2.5Gps WAN port as standard. If the likes of Comcast and others continue speed up their networks, like they have over the last year I could see 5G being a thing within a year or 2 at the earliest. I am in Comcast backyard right here in PA, and 1.3Gbps is at the high-end as standard and 2Gbps right now is the premium. I also saw they will be adding at least Fiber nodes now

I think the 5 Gbps port is primarily for marketing purposes. The downside is that it is WAN only.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!