What's new

Linksys Velop port forwarding bug! /warning!/

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Freddell

New Around Here
My Linksys Velop MX4200 with firmware 1.0.13.210200 have a peculiar problem.
I use single port forwarding to reach internal services from outside and have been doing that for many years with different linksys products. Starting with this velop firmware, if I enable a forwarding of port 443, I can no longer reach the https:// router admin interface from internal clients. Ports should only be forwarded from ""EXTERNAL" hosts, not internal.. :)
First I thought I had been hacked, and it took me a very long time and many restarts to figure out what was going wrong..
I have tried chatting with Linksys support but they did not offer any reasonable acknowledgement.
The only way I could log in and remove the 443 forwarding was using the Linksys mobile app connected to the internal wifi. Anyone with similar Velops that can duplicate my finding?

I've been searching everywhere for an answer to this.
I can confirm, I've been suddenly unable to access the admin panel of my Velop. After finding no clear answers, I reset my network. The moment I entered the 443 port forward I was forced out of the app and I cannot get back to it.
This is not the first time Linksys has pushed an update which bricked working functionality of my router.

I've been searching everywhere for an answer to this.
I can confirm, I've been suddenly unable to access the admin panel of my Velop. After finding no clear answers, I reset my network. The moment I entered the 443 port forward I was forced out of the app and I cannot get back to it.
This is not the first time Linksys has pushed an update which bricked working functionality of my router.
I had almost same issue. I want to forward ports 80 and 443 to another internal server, so I was searching for their default web management port and couldnt find it. Many of other linksys routers had this option, and not having this in such 400$+ mesh system is CRAZY...

Unfortunately, it seems like accessing Admin UI thru the mobile app is the only mean when you port-forward port 443.

Linksys support confirmed they use 443 and 80. I opened an incident with them. Waiting to hear back. All they have to do is - simply allow Remote Management port to be changed to something else - an implementation that existed in their other linksys routers...

Linksys support confirmed they use 443 and 80. I opened an incident with them. Waiting to hear back. All they have to do is - simply allow Remote Management port to be changed to something else - an implementation that existed in their other linksys routers...
All they need to do is to introduce custom ports for HTTP and HTTPS.

I have the same issue.... But I can't even use the app...

I put in a support ticket to Linksys.... and saved the transcript....all we can do is that, and maybe wait a few weeks and tweet out to inquire as to the status....

has anyone tried using port 8443? I may play with it to see if its a solid workaround

As far as workarounds,

I guess we can flash our routers with OpenWRT

or another workaround I've been toying with is using 443 for my home server and a reverse proxy and port forwarding 8443 to my router. So I can access my router using 192.x..x.x:8433

I hope that helps anyone who comes across this

Has anyone received any updates for this issue. Recently installed a new Velop setup issues after days and continued troubleshooting and network changes to discover this is a bug from the seems of it.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!