What's new

Linksys Velop Roaming Garbage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I bought an ASUS Rt-AC5300 about a year ago. I was upgrading from an older ASUS flagship device—the AC87u. I know the only difference is supposed to be having dual 5ghz 8 antenna WiFi, but the WiFi on it is incredible. I have it in a basement & still get a usable 100mb in places two stories above me or outside on the lawn—places where I had no connection before with previous routers—places where I might not have even been able to see my network SSID broadcast.

I recently bought an ROG-GT5300 & use it as my router & moved the ac5300 to the 2nd story & set it up as a wired Access Point (not using AiMesh until the bugs are removed.)

The Rog’s quad core gives me better blufferboat performance—regardless of if adaptive qos is on or is in sqf—than the dual core AC5300 with fq codel with the fresh mod that fixes it. Additionally it can handle multiple open vpn connections even with the encryption turned up:

I wish I could get merlin’s Firmware on it, but the rog dashboard gives me relevant info on current ping & other gaming related stats.

I know quad core is supposed to be overkill, but sounds like that is the kind of performance you are demanding/

I would put two 5300’s with a wired backbone up against any of these 3mesh ap systems. Plus, AiMesh will work with it once ASUS gets it stable. They have a better history than the competition when it comes to continuous firmware & support.

FYI, I had to turn my WiFi transmit power down on my router to get the desired roaming performance. I also set the roaming cutoff suggestion—it works with some newer hardware. Finally, I had to go Into windows WiFi adapter settings on one notebook & change the roaming aggressiveness.

The ROG-GT5300 is insanity! I can pick this unit up for 280.00 so I may end up using it as a router with wired POE access points. How is the performance stand alone? Looks absolutely insane!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Realistically what i want is something that will be rock solid performance wise....meaning 400+ mbps anywhere is my house when I Speedtest and the ability for all my devices to roam properly.
To get this throughput, you'll need to use 5 GHz. You said you separated 2.4 and 5 GHz, but didn't say which band your devices seemed to prefer.

Did you try disabling 2.4 (if your devices allow)?

To get this throughput, you'll need to use 5 GHz. You said you separated 2.4 and 5 GHz, but didn't say which band your devices seemed to prefer.

Did you try disabling 2.4 (if your devices allow)?

I can’t disable 2.4 as it’s not a feature and yes I know 5ghz is required for that kind of throughput. Like i mentioned I have a lot of experience in the industry and am not looking to correct my current network, rather get advice from others who have had good success with access points that aren’t consumer grade.

I can’t disable 2.4 as it’s not a feature and yes I know 5ghz is required for that kind of throughput. Like i mentioned I have a lot of experience in the industry and am not looking to correct my current network, rather get advice from others who have had good success with access points that aren’t consumer grade.
If you have a lot of experience in the industry, why not use what has worked for you before?

If you have a lot of experience in the industry, why not use what has worked for you before?

Not sure if you realize but typically performance varies from household to household or business to business and I’m not sure anyone has installed every single possible combination of access points or mesh units on the market. I’m asking for firsthand experience of products i haven’t used before. I’m not looking for blanket statements or information I already know about my current equipment.

If you want to go 5GHz in a 4000 sq ft home I would think you would need 4 or 5 wireless units depending on the layout.

Omada software I believe. Wish someone with these could chime in.

Are you in the US? There is a new version of the 245 that has launched outside the US already that is supposed to launch here next month.

Are you in the US? There is a new version of the 245 that has launched outside the US already that is supposed to launch here next month.

Yes I’m in the US. Where do you see details on this new access point? Either way I can’t really go wrong with spending 80 bucks on an access point.

Yes I’m in the US. Where do you see details on this new access point? Either way I can’t really go wrong with spending 80 bucks on an access point.

Well, the ascetics of the case changed to match the 225 V3, including having the ethernet/power on the bottom so you can hide the wires. Internally, the new V3 has MU-MIMO, Seamless Roaming (802.11r/k/v), Airtime Fairness
and Beamforming.

I believe like the 225 V3, which is already out, the new V3 245 is considered Wave2 ac.

I can pick up the TP-Link Omada 1750s for around 80 bucks each which I may give a try. Anyone have experience with these on a gig line? It’s either the TP-Link or I bite the bullet and pick up a couple NanoHDs. Based on the several reviews I’ve seen the TP Links outperform the Ubiquiti products in throughout which is what I want....especially when running a gig line with current capability to jump to a 2 gig line if I wanted. No I don’t need it, but I’m a complete nerd and want everything to be as fast as humanly possible haha.

I’m always starting to wonder if the amount of sonos I have in my home is hindering wireless performance. I have 10+ sonos devices connected throughout my home.

And to answer the above about the Asus units, I completely agree the performance is amazing, I have seen some serious coverage and performance out of the AiMesh capabilities but I prefer the sleek look of a ceiling or wall unit as my wife won’t want these units sittings all over my home. FYI my house is about 4000 Sq ft.

Still looking for more feedback before I decide, I also don’t want to cheap out and end up replacing again in a year....although I probably will anyways once AC becomes mainstream.

If you are looking for something to support more than 1 gig look at the Cisco WAP581 wireless units as they have more than a 1 gig back haul.

The ROG-GT5300 is insanity! I can pick this unit up for 280.00 so I may end up using it as a router with wired POE access points. How is the performance stand alone? Looks absolutely insane!

I have used iPerf on an iPhone 8+ & an iPad Air 2 to test WiFi to WiFi thuroughput & got results over 400mb/s

The ROGGT5300 gets me an A or A+ blufferboat score without really optimizing qos...just Sqf & type my actual speed or anything less in gets it every time

The GT5300 with wired backbone to 2-3 UniFi AP’s should do the trick.

I keep my router in the basement of my house for gaming concerns....definite not the best place with 2 full stories above it. Anyhow, I use a hardwired app on the 2nd floor now, but if I turn that off, I can get solid usable WiFi signal anyplace in the House with just the 5300....with two 5300 hardwired together, I get 350-450mb throughout the house in real thuroughput.

I was surprised by the 5300’s WiFi....They blow the socks off anything else I’ve tried.!!Previously I had an 87u & a 66u....If I plugged either in with transmit power turned up all the way, I still would have deadsspots where my first ac5300 is delivering 100+mb.

I know it’s supposed to have a 2nd 5g radio, but
The 5g has outperformed all previous WiFi routers...Including 2 of Asus’s previous top of the line WiFi AC Routers—the 66 & 87u.

That said, I would expect results on the 88, or new AX routers be on par with my AC5300 results

Ac5300 ap roaming
/
Wired backbone
/
ROG5300 router
/
Arris SB8200 Docsis 3.1 Cable modem

My TiVos use MoCa to Access the main DVR box & the Internet. Having my tvs off off video streaming probably helps my results.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!