What's new

Linksys WET610N Wireless vs. Wired speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Harv Smythe

New Around Here
I purchased a WET610N with the hope that, as a dual band device, I could connect it to my 5G wireless network and get the same speeds I get for devices connected to the bridge with 10baseT. Thus far, it seems that's not the case.

Both 2.4G and 5G wireless networks are sourced by a Comcast modem. My wireless devices connected to the 2.4G Wifi network consistently test out at 10.6Mbps down and 5.7Mbps Up. My 5G wireless devices report 82Mbps down and 6.9Mbps up using the same test.

With my WET610N Bridge communicating on the 5G network, devices connected to it via 10BaseT report only 32.89 down and 6.08 up. Very disappointing.

I hope that someone out there can tell me if I'm doing something wrong, have the bridge improperly configured, or that I'm simply out of luck.

Harv

With my WET610N Bridge communicating on the 5G network, devices connected to it via 10BaseT report only 32.89 down and 6.08 up. Very disappointing

For 10Base-T, those are good numbers...

I'm assuming you intended to suggest 100Base-T, and there the numbers are low...

FWIW - I've used the WET-600N, which is an earlier model, and that little test lasted 24 hours, and I took it back to Fry's in Seattle and swapped it out for a Buffalo WLI-TX4-AG300N device, which worked much better... after the project in Seattle closed out, I'm still using that device in my LAN here in San Diego...

It's out of production, and the ports are only 100Base-T, but it's still working well - the other issue with that device is that it doesn't support the UNII-3 bands due to it being developed in Japan, but it does support DFS in the UNII-2 band for 5GHz...

For 10Base-T, those are good numbers...

I'm assuming you intended to suggest 100Base-T, and there the numbers are low...

FWIW - I've used the WET-600N, which is an earlier model, and that little test lasted 24 hours, and I took it back to Fry's in Seattle and swapped it out for a Buffalo WLI-TX4-AG300N device, which worked much better... after the project in Seattle closed out, I'm still using that device in my LAN here in San Diego...

It's out of production, and the ports are only 100Base-T, but it's still working well - the other issue with that device is that it doesn't support the UNII-3 bands due to it being developed in Japan, but it does support DFS in the UNII-2 band for 5GHz...

Thanks for the correction on 10BaseT - Duh - I guess my age is showing. Also thanks for the info about the Buffalo device. Thankfully, I just got the system running as it should. As usual it was cockpit error, not an equipment problem. After carefully doing the setup - I forgot to disable my 2.4G wireless connection and enable my LAN adapter. Another Duh! Ooklah now reporting 68.7 down and 6.23 up which is what I get when wirelessly connected to the 5G network .

<I'm getting too old for this stuff>

Harv

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!