What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

u2n.snb

New Around Here
Anyone find a wired usb-to-ethernet adapter that connects a single-port (usbc) hotspot to a router's WAN port?

Driving this is T-mobile's recently-mounted 5G data-only (incl sms) campaign. (Most in the US have likely noticed by now? Or maybe not lol.) It offers 30 GB/mo for $10 postpaid, incl taxes (connection fee easily waived). Measured speeds here rival those of cable (Tmo often way faster) and it's noticeably quicker (much lower latency), though YMMV as performance is highly dependent on location and network congestion.

Data-holics will laugh at the 30 GB unit, but two (or even three) hotspots plugged into the router (running Merlin of course) in dual-WAN config can provide sufficient bandwidth to replace cable for many households. Better performance at lower cost is a strong motivator. (Not to mention longterm profound resentment at heretofore forced dealings with ISP monopoly.)

So with one hotspot connected to router's usb port, just need the second connected via ethernet (WAN port, most readily). After a long search, I find the Internet clogged with devices that will mechanically make the connection but, don't work for two reasons:
  • Power is not supplied to the usb side, which causes the hotspots to shut off wired data
  • Carrier signals are discovered only on the ethernet side and ignored on the usb end
The first limitation can be overcome by providing power to the device's internal bus (at least on the two units I tried), but the second kills it in every case. The hotspot continues to make its usb data connection available, but the adapter ignores it.

So the challenge is finding a powered, or powerable, adapter that is either bidirectional or intended for use with a hotspot. It's hard to believe that identifying such a simple and obvious piece of hardware is so difficult, hence my question here.

Alternate configurations that (may) work:
  1. Easiest is just buy a hotspot with ethernet port and wire it up. - But costs are much higher; single-ports are $20 used, and widely available.
  2. Unplug one hotspot, or its SIM, each month when that data runs out and plug in the other. - Haha, gimme a break! Who's going to do that?
  3. Bridge through an intermediary device such as a laptop or rpi. - Obviously not optimal.
  4. Plug hotspots into separate usb ports on router, or in hub. - Asus-based FW allows only one usb source for dual-WAN. Workaround?
  5. Do 4., but manually configure an internal bridge between one of the hotspots and the WAN port. - Possible?

Keeping this question general (not limited to my hardware) since most any hotspot is usable with Merlin and the hardware bridge between devices should be nonspecific. All suggestions welcome.

Posting here as this concerns 'other' hardware, but please move if it better fits elsewhere.

in dual-WAN config

Good luck with this Dual WAN config on Asus router. Search the forum for Dual WAN issues.

Why do you think this custom script exists?

Some folks give up and are using SMB routers in front of their Asus for Dual WAN management.

Thanks for the help, guys, and sorry for the delayed response. Got avalanched soon after writing.

Dual WAN being essentially nonfunctional was the final nail in the coffin for both the hardware arrangement and the need for my requested device (which doesn't exist anyway BTW lol).

But they were on the way out after finding we needed to swap in the third hotspot in heavier-use months. The whole idea was to make the system work like cable -- no hardware touches. If that wasn't possible, why bother?

Also found something totally unexpected in the experience. Having to routinely handle any device(s) was unacceptable, initially. But after getting used to these hotspot gadgets, we've found it's really NBD. The mobility makes it a good tradeoff.

Now working on DDNS...

T-mobile's
I did my own conversion and get unlimited data + 40gb of hotspot all in under $40/mo. Modem and parts under $275 with some spare pieces on hand. Top speeds so far 450/80. Working on getting aggregation to be enabled though to see what's being left on the table for capacity.