What's new

Linksys WRT1900AC, WRT1900ACS, WRT1200AC and WRT3200ACM Router Debian Implementation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello fellow SNB'rs,

I might be a bit too late or too far behind but came across this SNBForum discussion about running Ubuntu on certain routers and it intrigued me to the point that I ended up buying a Linksys WRT3200ACM with the goal of being able to run common wireless router functions while utilizing Ubuntu capabilities and qualities. That being said, I'm a tad confused as to the level of progression you've made on running UbtunuWRT. The last couple of posts appears to have been about a year ago so I'm hoping I haven't missed out on the opportunity to make the transition.

A little about me, I've flashed a few routers in my time, from DD-WRT, Tomato(s), and OpenWRT, so I have somewhat level of experience, but what I lack is knowing which step-by-step process I would need to take in order to properly transition my currently DD-WRT flashed WRT34200ACM to an Ubuntu/UbuntuWRT? If anyone would be so kind to help out with a few steps and advice that would be great. I did see the github page that has links to download Ubuntu 18.04 .bin and ROOTFS but not sure which goes first. Common sense would suggest formatting a USB flash drive with ext4 partition for the ROOTFS and then somehow load the .bin file..See my dilemma here? LOL

Any help will be MUCH appreciated!

~ Chad

Hello fellow SNB'rs,

I might be a bit too late or too far behind but came across this SNBForum discussion about running Ubuntu on certain routers and it intrigued me to the point that I ended up buying a Linksys WRT3200ACM with the goal of being able to run common wireless router functions while utilizing Ubuntu capabilities and qualities. That being said, I'm a tad confused as to the level of progression you've made on running UbtunuWRT. The last couple of posts appears to have been about a year ago so I'm hoping I haven't missed out on the opportunity to make the transition.

A little about me, I've flashed a few routers in my time, from DD-WRT, Tomato(s), and OpenWRT, so I have somewhat level of experience, but what I lack is knowing which step-by-step process I would need to take in order to properly transition my currently DD-WRT flashed WRT34200ACM to an Ubuntu/UbuntuWRT? If anyone would be so kind to help out with a few steps and advice that would be great. I did see the github page that has links to download Ubuntu 18.04 .bin and ROOTFS but not sure which goes first. Common sense would suggest formatting a USB flash drive with ext4 partition for the ROOTFS and then somehow load the .bin file..See my dilemma here? LOL

Any help will be MUCH appreciated!

~ Chad
Why not run McDebian (Debian)? Ubuntu is derived from Debian.

Why not run McDebian (Debian)? Ubuntu is derived from Debian.

Quite indeed, maybe I should! This is where I could use some help understanding a few things while elaborating a tad on my goals and perceptions - and lack there of...LOL

If you could answer or provide some feedback that would be great. I'm looking to become a team player in this project and might even contribute (donate) to in the interest of research and development (R&D) such as a latest router, funding, etc. I'm not quite interested in this for business purposes, more of a personal project of my own. Either way, it would be a joint venture of expertise and resource and future holds those possibilities for sure!

Ok. here are my questions/comments:

[Perception/Goals]
I'd like to operate a router such as the WRT3200ACM with a GUI interface similar to Tomato firmware (preferred), dd-wrt, OpenWRT, etc., however, be able to access a desktop-like UI environment, X11 capability, and other functions similar to Debian/Ubuntu, etc., but have the ability to install/configure Linux packages via CLi using Aptitude (Apt) and not have too many compatibility issues.

Question: Am I describing a current or foretasted capability with your "McDebian" variant? Details would be appreciated...

[Long-Term Objectives]
I own and operate a pentesting device designed/sold by hak5.org called the "Pineapple Tetra" which is a dual-band (2GHz/5GHz) router running on OpenWRT which provides some package install capability. The selling feature of the Pineapple Tetra is the GUI interface where modules can be downloaded and installed quickly, i.e., ease of use. Its a great device but still a bit slow and limited. For example, most of the same functions that the Pineapple Tetra does can be done with a laptop installed with a Linux OS such as Kali Linux (Debian-based variant). The objective would be to convert a far more superior router such as the WRT3200ACM which could be configured in similarity to the Pineapple Tetra but with far more capability. I'm certain there would be a huge open-source interest and even a marketability for a commercial variant as well (long term wise).

Question: How much work might be involved in accomplishing a task like this? Experimental stage of course...

[Option for Donarship]
Yes. I said it, I would be willing to provide (donate) equipment and resources if the right person and/or people would show firm interest. I've heard that some of the limitations towards router dev mods are dependent on equipment being donated for the the cause. I'm game.

Question: What I mentioned in preliminary and suggestive at this stage but would you or other be interested in teaming up in support of a project like I've been describing?

Overall, I'm keeping high hope on the idea that you and others share a strong interest in a dev/mod router project and I want in! I'd like to know if you would be just as interested along with anyone else. The more help and support we get the better off things could be!

Look forward to hearing back from you soon!

~ Chad

Maybe I am generalizing your wants too much, but I am having a hard time not seeing what you are asking for being answered by OpenWRT..... They have some good themes that come out of the box (if you compile yourself you can add them all, WRT flash is large) that give you a granular dive in from LuCI. As well, it's all ssh capable, and has it's own package repository. The issue with that, if you just want to add random repo's and install packages is the architecture the unit is compiled on.

So with that, I would say read up on the OpenWRT wiki on how to compile your own build, get familiar with make menuconfig, and roll your own builds with all the tweaks you want.

EDIT: Thinking some more, if you want a full fat desktop UI env, I don't think a router is the place to do it. Limited resources for something that's fat like that. You might want to look into alternate solutions like docker's or some other heavier baremetal solution you can then virtualize on. If you wanting to play with hacking tools like pineapple, wouldn't it be in your best interest to be familiarize with the CLI anyways? Synology gives a somewhat desktop UI in their routers.

Last edited:
I own and operate a pentesting device designed/sold by hak5.org called the "Pineapple Tetra" which is a dual-band (2GHz/5GHz) router running on OpenWRT which provides some package install capability. The selling feature of the Pineapple Tetra is the GUI interface where modules can be downloaded and installed quickly, i.e., ease of use. Its a great device but still a bit slow and limited. For example, most of the same functions that the Pineapple Tetra does can be done with a laptop installed with a Linux OS such as Kali Linux (Debian-based variant). The objective would be to convert a far more superior router such as the WRT3200ACM which could be configured in similarity to the Pineapple Tetra but with far more capability. I'm certain there would be a huge open-source interest and even a marketability for a commercial variant as well (long term wise).

Part of the challenge with the Marvell - it's the drivers for WiFI.

There's a good reason why Hak5 uses Atheros, specifically the ath9k driver - it supports all the modes, Marvell only supports AP, STA, and MON modes

For something you're proposing - SolidRun ClearFog Pro with QCA WiFi cards - with the m2 SSD slot, along with 1GB ram, it's a better solution

Maybe I am generalizing your wants too much, but I am having a hard time not seeing what you are asking for being answered by OpenWRT..... They have some good themes that come out of the box (if you compile yourself you can add them all, WRT flash is large) that give you a granular dive in from LuCI. As well, it's all ssh capable, and has it's own package repository. The issue with that, if you just want to add random repo's and install packages is the architecture the unit is compiled on.

So with that, I would say read up on the OpenWRT wiki on how to compile your own build, get familiar with make menuconfig, and roll your own builds with all the tweaks you want.

EDIT: Thinking some more, if you want a full fat desktop UI env, I don't think a router is the place to do it. Limited resources for something that's fat like that. You might want to look into alternate solutions like docker's or some other heavier baremetal solution you can then virtualize on. If you wanting to play with hacking tools like pineapple, wouldn't it be in your best interest to be familiarize with the CLI anyways? Synology gives a somewhat desktop UI in their routers.

Valid points for sure! However, I have ventured in some OpenWRT compiling and CLi utilization and noticed a few areas fell short in my opinion.

1. CLi utilizes the opkg package structure which does have a decent complement repository(s) but its NO 'aptitude' for sure and the CLi commands and compiling can be a bit lengthly depending on what is being accomplished.

2. I don't think the hardware is much to be concerned about. As long as a decent ARM-based processor is 'under the hood' persay then things can be done. For example, I have a Raspberry Pi 3B+ that I SSH into using MobsXterm and quite seemlessly can establish X11 forwarding that allows me to run GUI applications remotely from a different computer. I was quite surprised actually. LOL

Overall, it I just think it would be a great opportunity to experience a Debian-like OS and GUI operation that works similar to those two points described above, although, I appreciate your feedback and welcome it for sure! I'm still learning (as we all are) so keep sending ideas and suggestions. Thx!

~ Chad

Part of the challenge with the Marvell - it's the drivers for WiFI.

There's a good reason why Hak5 uses Atheros, specifically the ath9k driver - it supports all the modes, Marvell only supports AP, STA, and MON modes

For something you're proposing - SolidRun ClearFog Pro with QCA WiFi cards - with the m2 SSD slot, along with 1GB ram, it's a better solution

I see your point and it is quite valid for sure! Getting a different router with certain wireless chips tend to be a hacker/pentestor's research project at times. All I can say is THANK YOU "Wiki Devi"! Right!?? LOL Anyway, I have the best luck with certain Atheros, Realtek, and Broadcom wireless chips so finding an "enterprise-capable" home based router that possess such architecture remains a GO in my book.

SolidRun ClearFog Pro? Just when I think I'm up-to-date on that latest and greatest of dev/mod capable routers I'm thrown back into a bliss of curousity. I'll need to look up what you told me and see what that's all about. Interesting indeed!

I will say this, I'm a fan of 'not re-inventing the wheel' if I can help it, so if there is a router OS that may do the job such as McDebian, UbuntuWRT, and oh yes, even a Raspberry Pi then I may just stick with that. Just prying the minds of peoples expertise first.

~ Chad

If you wanting to play with hacking tools like pineapple, wouldn't it be in your best interest to be familiarize with the CLI anyways?

Exactly - one must be skilled in the dark arts of the shell - the PineApple WebGUI does offer quite a bit, and most, if not all the packages can be built on OpenWRT, which the WRT's are decently supported on without having to do a full debian implementation.

A better choice for a full-on debian install would be the EspressoBIN, which has full support within Armbian with the Armada 37xx, and some pretty good I/O choices on that board - the MiniPCI-e slot not withstanding on certain revisions of that board. EspressoBIN on Amazon runs about 50 bucks, which is likely cheaper even than second-hand WRT's...

The base design is good enough that Netgate/pfSense has done a vendor specific spin for their SG-1100 Gateway and ZeroTier has done their ZeroTier Edge on the same board.