What's new

Liquid cooler

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

siri_uk

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of getting a liquid cooler for my DIY nas. It's running a msi mortar Arctic h270m, with an i5 7500 in a fractal node 804 microatx case. I have identified 2 options :-

DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm MAELSTROM 120T, 120mm All-In-One Hydro Cooler

Corsair H55 Factory Refurbished Hydro Series CPU Cooler

Anyone suggest which would be the best solution out of the 2.

TIA

siri, Corsair makes good coolers, but you're better off buying a new unit, they have a 5 year, not a one year warranty. ours has been running fine for over five years. It's a good idea to check your cooler before you install the system there are plenty of videos that can show you how. Good luck

Have been using the Corsair Hydro H60 for 7 years to cool my Intel I5 3570k. Both are still working and used every day.

Dave, Used to be strictly an air cooler advocate until we tried the Corsairs, then never looked back. Have had just as much success with Corsair refurbs as with their brand-new units. Bought a new H115, then a refurbed Corsair 110 3 years ago from N.Egg before they started having issues. Now always catch them on sale from Amazon, sometimes new with rebates. Had a hot AMD Phemom II Deneb 945 but cured it's ills with an H75. That CPU was more temperamental than any of the FX8300 series we've run. Every once in a while the reburb shop burps and puts out one that leaks and that ruins someone's day. We've had more clients that suffer overheating problems due to poor seating, dried thermal paste, not cleaning their filters and/or case fans and interiors, but no defective liquid coolers. Cheers.

Dave, Used to be strictly an air cooler advocate until we tried the Corsairs, then never looked back. Have had just as much success with Corsair refurbs as with their brand-new units. Bought a new H115, then a refurbed Corsair 110 3 years ago from N.Egg before they started having issues. Now always catch them on sale from Amazon, sometimes new with rebates. Had a hot AMD Phemom II Deneb 945 but cured it's ills with an H75. That CPU was more temperamental than any of the FX8300 series we've run. Every once in a while the reburb shop burps and puts out one that leaks and that ruins someone's day. We've had more clients that suffer overheating problems due to poor seating, dried thermal paste, not cleaning their filters and/or case fans and interiors, but no defective liquid coolers. Cheers.

I do clean mine about twice a year. By that I mean disconnect the cables and take it out to the shop and use compressed air to blow the dust out of the case and especially the radiator for the cooler. Have never replaced the thermal paste, I used Arctic Silver when I built the pc and the temp on the cpu averages around 30 to 35 degrees.

Dave, agreed, once you develop good cleaning discipline, it sticks. Every two years the systems are disassembled and cleaned and the chips removed and new paste applied. Many say it's not necessary but I've seen good paste go bad and chips literally welded to the sink. Have used variations of Arctic Silver forever and still use the razor blade spreading method. It doesn't take long so it's worth it to know it's the best job possible and performs as new. I couldn't afford the maintenance bill if I sent it to myself:) Have used moisture traps on all of our compressors and change them out, still use a couple of cans of air per year. Have our original FX835O in place, they haven't manage to exhaust the stockpile yet, yesterday they were down to only $72. With all of the spare boards and RAM on hand, we likely won't have a need to change to Rizen for a good while. Cheers!

Replacing the paste might be a good project for the next cleaning. I still have the tube of Arctic Silver in the fridge I used 7 years ago. Probably should get a new tube before replacing.

Dave; We've used Arctic Silver 5 since it first came on the market. Tried MX4, a version that supposedly contained diamond dust, then ceramic-based, anything but the two-part liquids which were tricky and still a bit exotic. Chips are still too expensive to risk burning up; no profit in that. ll. Ran out of TIM on a Friday when we still had 10 machines yet to complete; no AS-5 within 100 miles. A local refrigerator service center gave us a tube of their paste; a year later, we had no complaints or failures so it must've been OK. After that, we never went below two 12 gram tubes.

Not certain that 7 years in the fridge would hurt Arctic Silver. Let it warm up, squish the tube around a bit to mix what (if anything) separated, then carefully open in an upright position and see what your paste looks like. Always squeezed what we didn't use to the top of the tube, then capped and stored the tube upright. There are several silver based copies of AS-5 that sell briskly. We get it directly from Amazon prime shipping (not 3rd party merchants). Last time it ran about $15 for 12 grams, and two-for deals are better. A friend switched to Noctua's paste and likes it. Disclaimer, none of this was an endorsement or an ad, don't own any AR stock. Good luck:)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!