What's new

List WINS Server Entries

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jimf

Occasional Visitor
Is there a way to list the current name entries for the WINS server? I think I have it set up correctly, but PCs are slow to find names and it acts like they are doing it through broadcast.

I'm sure this is a real noob question, but I cant seem to find it.

Is there a way to list the current name entries for the WINS server? I think I have it set up correctly, but PCs are slow to find names and it acts like they are doing it through broadcast.

I'm sure this is a real noob question, but I cant seem to find it.

Since its one of those boring nights for me I must ask. Why exactly do you want to know the names of your WINS servers? Also by WINS servers do you mean the netbios names? Just curious is all....

If your WINS is the router, you can tell Samba to dump its info into syslog. Over SSH:

Code:
killall -HUP nmbd && tail /tmp/syslog.log -n 50

If your WINS is the router, you can tell Samba to dump its info into syslog. Over SSH:

Code:
killall -HUP nmbd && tail /tmp/syslog.log -n 50

I hate to badger you since you seem to be a semi legend here haha. Are you saying that if I access SSH on my router and paste the script you just posted then all the in and out connections using samba will be put onto one of my samba share PCs?

This forum has such a wealth of good usable knowledge that I didn't even know existed until recently.

I hate to badger you since you seem to be a semi legend here haha. Are you saying that if I access SSH on my router and paste the script you just posted then all the in and out connections using samba will be put onto one of my samba share PCs?

This forum has such a wealth of good usable knowledge that I didn't even know existed until recently.

No, it will just dump a list of stations it knows about. I don't know if they are specifically handled by its WINS server or they include anything that's known - I'm just reposting what a Google search returned on the topic of obtaining more info out of the Samba name server.

No, it will just dump a list of stations it knows about. I don't know if they are specifically handled by its WINS server or they include anything that's known - I'm just reposting what a Google search returned on the topic of obtaining more info out of the Samba name server.

Assuming I am not missing something important, which i usually am. Couldn't you just access your AIcloud website to see the netbios names of computers that you are sharing content from? I have also found mounting a webdav share to my android PC using ES file explorer will list all the devices netbios names that you are currently sharing content on. Although I couldn't actually connect to any of my shared PC's using that method, but it does list the netbios names.

Assuming I am not missing something important, which i usually am. Couldn't you just access your AIcloud website to see the netbios names of computers that you are sharing content from? I have also found mounting a webdav share to my android PC using ES file explorer will list all the devices netbios names that you are currently sharing content on. Although I couldn't actually connect to any of my shared PC's using that method, but it does list the netbios names.

OP wanted a way to specifically enumerate hosts that were known by the WINS server, to help in troubleshooting name resolution issues.

Merlin does the sharing has to be ON (I mean the switch/knob) so that the Router act as a WINS or Master Browser or having it enabled is enough (circular selection "box") ? Thanks.

I don't have any sharing on and at least the Master Browser function works correctly for the last year or more on many different Asus / RMerlin powered routers.

Merlin does the sharing has to be ON (I mean the switch/knob) so that the Router act as a WINS or Master Browser or having it enabled is enough (circular selection "box") ? Thanks.

No, Samba will start if you have it set to act as the master browser or a WINS server.

After reading through this thread again it sounds like the app "fing" on android might be of help. I still don't fully understand what devices the OP is trying to enumerate but I can vouch for fing being a freaking life saver app.

What worked for me was to tail /tmp/var/log.nmbd (instead of syslog), like this:

killall -HUP nmbd && tail /tmp/var/log.nmbd -n 50

The router is the master browser for the workgroup. I'm having problems seeing the wins names of another subnet over OpenVPN (can ping both directions, have the wins "push" defined). Just needed a baseline as to whether the router was answering anybody (the router is answering on its own subnet). I'll futz around with it some more. Thanks for steering me in the right direction! (Cuz I'd probably have never figured that one out)

Mind if I ask why you are trying to figure all this out? Are you doing some kind of a sync between certain NetBIOS PCs?

Mind if I ask why you are trying to figure all this out? Are you doing some kind of a sync between certain NetBIOS PCs?

Just trying to RDC from one subnet to a computer on another subnet. I can do it with IPs, but not with the computer names.

Just trying to RDC from one subnet to a computer on another subnet. I can do it with IPs, but not with the computer names.

WINS is kinda obsolete now, I'd recommend relying on DNS instead to achieve name resolution.

WINS obsolete .. yeah, yes and no. Many report this is still necessary for smooth windows operation. It will probably be around for awhile, yet. In my case, I don't want to manage a DNS server and since there is a WINS server in the router, hey why not?

BTW, this has been resolved. Problem was that remote client didn't enable a WINS proxy, hence it wasn't going across subnets to find the server even though the WINS address was set up that way in the adapter settings. Had to change a registry setting to make it work. MS really doesn't make this easy.