What's new

Locked out of my shared USB

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

makem

Occasional Visitor
I have attached a 64GB usb to my asus RT-AC68U router, mad a share in USB Application - Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk in my nickmane and created a password.

Using xubuntuI can browse to smb://horui/ but am unable to browse the 'downloads' folder I created there. (horui is the usb name) The downloads folder has r/w permissions for 'makem'

When I try to browse to the folder and select 'connect as user', I enter, make, domain home (domain name of my LAN and the one set in the router), the password created for makem. On connect the request for password appears again. I am also unable to browse with the name of the router admin and the password.

I have tried disabling the ufw firewall.

I am unable to think of what else I can do help?

In a workgroup (such as what the router uses), there is no domain name. The router is not part of an Active Directory.

The router also has trouble dealing with password containing certain reserved characters, such as "$".

In a workgroup (such as what the router uses), there is no domain name. The router is not part of an Active Directory.

The router also has trouble dealing with password containing certain reserved characters, such as "$".

Yes, I did use a reserved character and have edited it out of the password.

In the router I must set a workgroup name and gave the same name as my LAN. If I don't insert a workgoup name I get an error message.

In the password required popup seen when accessing the downloads folder the user name makem is already inserted as is the domain name which is the same name as the workgroup in the router. If I remove the domain name the 'connect' button is greyed out and I can go no further.

I am still unable to browse the folder.

BTW, the router copes with the same reserved character in the router login.

Edit: I attempted to create a shortcut to the downloads folder and received the error, "The path "Downloads" does not refer to a directory.

Last edited:
Your router is not part of a domain, so you should not enter any domain. If the client (incorrectly) insists that you provide a domain, then try the router's hostname, so the router will know it has to authenticate against a local userbase, not a remote domain one.

The workgroup name has no impact on user authentication, it's mostly only used for enumeration (for the master browser for example).

The 'client' is xubuntu file viewer and it inserts the domain name.

I thought the routers hostname was RT-AC68U but that did not work.

I checked /tmp/host on the router which said the host was HORUI (the USB), but this did not work as the domain name either.

Perhaps the usb has to be mounted in linux first but I don't see how to mount it given that the path is smb://horui/downloads

With windows I was able to browse to the folder and open downloads but in xubuntu I cannot do that and can't work out why given that i am using the credentials produced by the router.

If you're on linux - this is easy - run the commands below

nmblookup -A 192.168.1.1 (or whatever the IP address of the router is)

There, you'll find the Samba host name - so then you can run the smbclient test

smbclient -U <Samba Username> -L \\<SAMBA HOSTNAME>

If you have access to the telnet/ssh on the router, also check testparm...

If you're on linux - this is easy - run the commands below

nmblookup -A 192.168.1.1 (or whatever the IP address of the router is)

There, you'll find the Samba host name - so then you can run the smbclient test

smbclient -U <Samba Username> -L \\<SAMBA HOSTNAME>

If you have access to the telnet/ssh on the router, also check testparm...

Code:
makem@ssdTOSH:~$ nmblookup -A 192.168.2.1
Looking up status of 192.168.2.1
   HORUI  <1d> -  H <ACTIVE>
   HORUI  <1e> - <GROUP> H <ACTIVE>
   HORUI  <00> - <GROUP> H <ACTIVE>
   HORUI  <03> -  H <ACTIVE>
   HORUI  <20> -  H <ACTIVE>
   ..__MSBROWSE__. <01> - <GROUP> H <ACTIVE>

MAC Address = 00-00-00-00-00-00

makem@ssdTOSH:~$ smbclient -U makem -L \\ HORUI
WARNING: The "syslog" option is deprecated
HORUI: Not enough '\' characters in service
makem@ssdTOSH:~$ smbclient -U makem -L \\\ HORUI
Enter makem's password:
Connection to  HORUI failed (Error NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL)
makem@ssdTOSH:~$

I gather that error is generic meaning samba does not know what is wrong either!

Running testparm on the router from putty produces the error: testparm not found

EDIT:
makem@ssdTOSH:~$ smbtree -N
HORUI
   \\HORUI       HORUI
     \\HORUI\IPC$     IPC Service (HORUI)
     \\HORUI\Downloads     sda1's Downloads in HORUI metalbox

Last edited:
Code:
makem@ssdTOSH:~$ smbclient -U makem -L \\ HORUI
HORUI: Not enough '\' characters in service
There should be no space between \\ and HORUI
Code:
[root@micro /]# smbclient -U Colin -L \\RT-AC68U
WARNING: The "null passwords" option is deprecated
Enter Colin's password:
Domain=[HOME] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.6.25]

Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        ASUS            Disk      VERBATIM's ASUS in Verbatim STORE N GO
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (RT-AC68U)
Domain=[HOME] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.6.25]

Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        MICRO
        RT-AC68U             RT-AC68U

Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        HOME                 MICRO

The 'client' is xubuntu file viewer and it inserts the domain name.

I had to read back thru the thread - and I saw the XBuntu reference - just note here that the XFCE file browser is somewhat broken with regards to SMB/CIFS, always has been... just is...

Mount the SMB/CIFS volume via smbclient in the terminal, and life is much better... and it should then be reliably seen by the XFCE file browser.

There should be no space between \\ and HORUI
Of course, there was no spaces:)
I get following:
Code:
polo@bodhi-v:~$ smbclient -U extasy -L \\192.168.1.1
Enter extasy's password:
Server does not support EXTENDED_SECURITY  but 'client use spnego = yes and 'client ntlmv2 auth = yes'
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

I had to read back thru the thread - and I saw the XBuntu reference - just note here that the XFCE file browser is somewhat broken with regards to SMB/CIFS, always has been... just is...

Mount the SMB/CIFS volume via smbclient in the terminal, and life is much better... and it should then be reliably seen by the XFCE file browser.
I don't use Xubuntu, but get the same error on PcManFm manager on Enlightenment 0.2.0. And smbclient result is above.

I get following:
Code:
polo@bodhi-v:~$ smbclient -U extasy -L \\192.168.1.1
Enter extasy's password:
Server does not support EXTENDED_SECURITY  but 'client use spnego = yes and 'client ntlmv2 auth = yes'
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
Top 3 hits in Google:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/763945/cant-connect-to-smb-share-after-upgrade-to-ubuntu-gnome-16-04
https://askubuntu.com/questions/758860/samba-share-user-password-error-after-update/763436
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2323358&p=13483572#post13483572

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!