What's new

Scribe Log question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Weblee2407

Regular Contributor
I have a question and don't know where to post it, so I am going to start here and based on the answer, maybe one of the moderators can move it - or I can delete this one and create a discussion in the appropriate forum.

Some items in the log directory, messages for example, starts as "messages" for a period of time or size...then the file is rolled over to messages-yyyymmdd and a new "messages" is created and finally a
messages-yyyymmdd.gz is created.

What process is managing this sequence of file management activities, and can you add other logs to be managed the same way?

logrotate is doing this. Scribe installs a daily chron job to run it.

You can see the default setup in /opt/etc/logrotate.conf, which is set to rotate each log weekly and keep 4 backlogs with the date as a suffix.

Scribe installs more specific things in /opt/etc/logrotate.d, starting with A00global, which overrides this to compress the backups (except the most recent), keeps a maximum of 4 and accelerates the weekly rotation if the log reaches 1mb. Then even more specific settings are created for each log file. Messages, for example is kept for 9 backups, runs daily as long as it is at least 1mb.

If you create your own log file within syslog-ng, you need to consider whether you need a specific rotation setup. If you have a lot of log files setup, and they are noisy, uiScribe will bog down.

Last edited:
Thanks... I was certain I had seen the logs rolling over before I started using Scribe.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!