What's new

Looking at adding another node to the my mesh.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ingeborgdot

Regular Contributor
I am thinking about getting an AC68U or P to add to my AiMesh. How far can a person put the node so it is still a viable and powerful enough router. I have my main router in the basement, wired to a 68U upstairs as part of a node to my AiMesh. The other node will be in my garage and it will be about 60' away through 2 walls. Is that too far. The wife signal test 10' away from the router is -45dBm and while in the garage it is -67dBm. Is that too weak and too far away to work?

It depends on what you want/expect to be done from the garage. On your ISP service. And on the neighboring AP's around you.

What is your main router? What firmware is everything on?

Can you rearrange (if needed) the locations of the current routers (even by feet and/or inches) to optimize the signal quality to the garage?

Ideally, is a wired solution a possibility?

I am thinking about getting an AC68U or P to add to my AiMesh. How far can a person put the node so it is still a viable and powerful enough router. I have my main router in the basement, wired to a 68U upstairs as part of a node to my AiMesh. The other node will be in my garage and it will be about 60' away through 2 walls. Is that too far. The wife signal test 10' away from the router is -45dBm and while in the garage it is -67dBm. Is that too weak and too far away to work?

It will probably work. Assuming your main router is AiMesh, you could test the proposed garage backhaul with your existing equipment... move things around as required. AC86Us would work better.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!