What's new

Looking at an AC86U. Are there still issues with the 2.4Ghz band?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have two RT-AC86Us. One 2018 product that I have had since 9/2018 which I use 24/7 and another 2019 version that I use as a backup and for travel/vacations. Both have worked flawlessly!

I have two RT-AC86Us. One 2018 product that I have had since 9/2018 which I use 24/7 and another 2019 version that I use as a backup and for travel/vacations. Both have worked flawlessly!

You had me until 'flawlessly'. :)

OE

What is the reason they can't be next to each other if they're on non-overlapping channels?

It should be pretty easy to see for yourself. Turn off the AC86U and check the S/I of the AC68U, then turn off the AC68U and check the S/I of the AC86U, then turn them both on and check both. Compare results.

My bad, I always seem to have some dyslexia when reading posts about the 86U. Mine is actually a 68U.

We all do this! :)

OE

It should be pretty easy to see for yourself. Turn off the AC86U and check the S/I of the AC68U, then turn off the AC68U and check the S/I of the AC86U, then turn them both on and check both. Compare results.
Sorry to dig up an older thread... but @binarydad (or anyone else) were you able to compare bandwidth/throughput between ac68u/ac86u with only one being up at a time and similar configs? Am in similar position... looking to upgrade from 68u and wondering 86u or ax86u or anything at all! Main pain point currently is range/throughput on 2.4ghz.

TIA!

I could have sworn I posted LAN speed tests...ugh.

I still have my old AC68U, even with the older firmware (39E3). Still rock solid for me, and don't have plans to update to a AC86U. I don't have any wifi 6 devices so no plans to get AX yet. My only consideration right now is a "mesh" wireless system (though I will hard-wire the nodes).

I never did try one at a time, though, so there's that to consider.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!