What's new

looking for a good streaming router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

royarcher

Very Senior Member
I am looking to get a new router so I can retire the rt ac 88 u to the bedroom. I have been think ,after advice from you guys,the rt ax 86 u would be it's likely replacement. The main job it will have is to stream US content from Australia ( I do love my movies )so I just wondered if there is a better choice to be had . I don't really use a VPN as much as express VPN,s media streaming app/ service eg smart DNS . Budget not an issue. Any suggestions? Guys

Budget not an issue? Best RMerlin supported Asus router available today? Need movies, fast? :)

RT-AX86U.

What's wrong with your RT-AC88U? It can stream HD content over VPN, no problem.
nothing is really wrong with it per say ,I just think it's getting on a bit ( aren't we all I hear you say ) but I used to use a tp link ac 1750 in the bedroom until I bricked it trying to flash it with, I think it was with tomato firmware and since then i have been using an old tp link 300 mbs that only has a single 2.4 ghz radio.
We only use the tp link to stream local content as it's set up on pass through the 88 u soooo Long story short I have convinced the war office that one needs to be replaced so naturally the tp is for the chop . That's as long as my other half doesn't work out that that it doesn't necessarily have to be replaced with an ax 86 U so what she don't know I get away with
ps please don't post how I can save the tp ac 1750 if she sees the email or post I'm back to square one

God I just read my own BS post .
Why? I'm sick of lockdown I need a new toy or I'm gonna go banmans

Because of your last requirement in post #6. ;)
Yes sorry I'm a bit pi5ed I was trying unsuccessfully to be funny I wasn't having a go at you. But seriously why are some of the 86,s black and some red . The red ones say Gundam Zaki ll edition . What's the difference?
PS on eBay not Amazon I haven't checked Amazon out yet

If you like the color editions better... they perhaps stream videos better. ;)
Ok I deserve that after last night but I must warn you I have stopped drinking since guzzling came in so having said that do they come in hot pink ??

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!