What's new

Looking for a new reliable router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fratorga

New Around Here
Hello,
I'm looking for a new router to upgrade my current one cause I'm having really annoying problems with it and need something more reliable.

Current Problems
I currently have an RT-AC87U that has been giving me a lot of headaches, it has the latest asus wrt merlin software but for some reason the Wi-Fi goes haywire (ping to the router 1k+ms) when a chromecast is streaming but it works fine when the smartphone and the tablet do the exact same thing at the same time. Also Asus is not updating it anymore and Merlin is considering it to be on "limited support".
The range of that router is fine but something better would be appreciated, it's a big-ish 2 story house.

Use Case
I'm an IT student currently doing online classes (and probably exams too) so I need something reliable that does not randomly lags for no reason.
My current internet speed is 30Down/3Up but I'm planning to upgrade to 100Down/10Up as soon as it is available (couple of months).
There are about 15 devices connected all the time (a printer, 2 wifi lights, 5 smartphones, 2 chromecasts, 2 tablets and a PC) The max number of devices should be around 20. They are mainly connected with 2.4Ghz cause 5Ghz dies pretty quickly if I go a couple of rooms away.
Features needed: PPPoE (cause of ISP).

Questions
Would a good router with good QoS help with my internet speed?
Routers I was checking out:
Linksys WRT3200ACM-EU (259 Euros on Amazon.it)
Netgear MK62 (249 Euros on Amazon.it) So I could have one of them on each apartment.

I'm accepting any help and suggestion, my budget is around 200-300 euros (I'm from Italy).
Thanks in advance!

Hello,
I'm looking for a new router to upgrade my current one cause I'm having really annoying problems with it and need something more reliable.

Current Problems
I currently have an RT-AC87U that has been giving me a lot of headaches, it has the latest asus wrt merlin software but for some reason the Wi-Fi goes haywire (ping to the router 1k+ms) when a chromecast is streaming but it works fine when the smartphone and the tablet do the exact same thing at the same time. Also Asus is not updating it anymore and Merlin is considering it to be on "limited support".
The range of that router is fine but something better would be appreciated, it's a big-ish 2 story house.

Use Case
I'm an IT student currently doing online classes (and probably exams too) so I need something reliable that does not randomly lags for no reason.
My current internet speed is 30Down/3Up but I'm planning to upgrade to 100Down/10Up as soon as it is available (couple of months).
There are about 15 devices connected all the time (a printer, 2 wifi lights, 5 smartphones, 2 chromecasts, 2 tablets and a PC) The max number of devices should be around 20. They are mainly connected with 2.4Ghz cause 5Ghz dies pretty quickly if I go a couple of rooms away.
Features needed: PPPoE (cause of ISP).

Questions
Would a good router with good QoS help with my internet speed?
Routers I was checking out:
Linksys WRT3200ACM-EU (259 Euros on Amazon.it)
Netgear MK62 (249 Euros on Amazon.it) So I could have one of them on each apartment.

I'm accepting any help and suggestion, my budget is around 200-300 euros (I'm from Italy).
Thanks in advance!

Consider the RT-AC86U, with or without Asuswrt-Merlin.

OE

If I buy another Asus router, would I be able to use the old one as an ai-mesh node?

Only if it supports AiMesh and is a healthy router. Does its webUI show AiMesh settings?

OE

Only if it supports AiMesh and is a healthy router. Does its webUI show AiMesh settings?

OE
Now that you mention it, I don't see that option in the webUI.
Do you have any opinion about Netgear Orbi system?
The house is diveded into 2 apartments on different floor so some kind of mesh system could be useful.

Can you hard-wired between floors? If so I would do a wired router plus one low-power AP per floor. If you can't, then Eero. It blows Orbi out of the water.

Can you hard-wired between floors? If so I would do a wired router plus one low-power AP per floor. If you can't, then Eero. It blows Orbi out of the water.
I can't hard-wire it but can't use eero either cause it does not support PPPoe

Got it. Does your ISP's gateway device support IP pass-through mode, where it can handle PPPoE but pass-through the connection to a router behind it?

Got it. Does your ISP's gateway device support IP pass-through mode, where it can handle PPPoE but pass-through the connection to a router behind it?
My situation on that front is quite limited, I'm pretty sure it doesn't support cause it's just an ethernet cable that comes from the power adapter of the wireless antenna that we use to access internet (yes, I know it sucks but it's the best option around here)

Now that you mention it, I don't see that option in the webUI.
Do you have any opinion about Netgear Orbi system?
The house is diveded into 2 apartments on different floor so some kind of mesh system could be useful.

Not directly. Only that it does not appeal to me. I've been in the consumer ASUS AiMesh camp since 2/2018 and see no reason to leave, all things considered.

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!