What's new

Looking for a new router and some random questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Asus specs the 86U for 'very large homes' and the 58U for 'large homes'...

Some reviews of AX routers mention issues with AC clients. This seems to be followed by disabling an AX feature...

OE
Oh I didn't know that. I think I will then give that a try!! Thank you

Oh I didn't know that. I think I will then give that a try!! Thank you

I'm not trying to convince you... just suggesting some things to consider. Most of us only know the routers we have used.

OE

2300-2800 sq ft house. 3 story house (2 floors and 1 basement) 1 heavy usage device in the basement and two others are on the top floor) router placement is 1st floor)
We haven't talked much about Router Placement yet. Yours is on the middle floor, likely a good thing. You don't say but often, too often, the router winds up in a remote corner of the house. I've had a couple sites where I was considering adding an AP, Extender or "Mesh" but, on a whim, grabbed a few feet of Ethernet cable and simply relocated the router up off the floor and a few feet more towards center.

If you can optimize the location of the N66U you may find that a one for one swap is all you need (rather than mesh and/or multiple APs).

Oh, and before I forget, many on this forum are also Netgear fans. I don't keep up myself but the R7800 rings a bell?

Last edited:
@TEUTknight, I mostly update Asus firmware wirelessly with no issues at all (ever, actually). It is safe because the firmware that is uploaded to the router is checked/verified first, as far as I understand. :)

We haven't talked much about Router Placement yet. Yours is on the middle floor, likely a good thing. You don't say but often, too often, the router winds up in a remote corner of the house. I've had a couple of sites where I was considering adding an AP, Extender or "Mesh" but, on a whim, grabbed a few feet of Ethernet cable and simply relocated the router up off the floor and a few feet more towards the center.

Oh, and before I forget, many on this forum are also Netgear fans. I don't keep up myself but the R7800 rings a bell?

It's as optimized as it will be. It is on the side of the house just due to the family not liking looks of the router so I have it out of the way, but to compensate I have it on a high shelf. I have a pretty lengthy cable to get it there but I have it hidden so out of sight out of mind right.

@TEUTknight, I mostly update Asus firmware wirelessly with no issues at all (ever, actually). It is safe because the firmware that is uploaded to the router is checked/verified first, as far as I understand. :)

That's amazing. Thanks for the help.

... side of the house just due to the family not liking looks of the router so I have it out of the way
<lol> I had the same problem, wife hated the looks of my old router, so I bought an Asus Blue Cave (not a recommendation in your case, my house is smaller).
P_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.png
My wife liked the looks and let me put it pretty much wherever I wanted ; -)

Last edited:
<lol> I had the same problem, wife hated the looks of my old router, so I bought an Asus Blue Cave (not a recommendation in your case, my house is smaller).
P_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.png
My wife like the looks and let me put it pretty much wherever I wanted ; -)
Oh yeah, I've seen that before. It does look good but I don't have any smart devices as well as knowing me I'd be tempted to constantly put items through the hole to see if it messes with the signal hahaha.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!