What's new

Looking for a new routers to replace my Cisco RV320. The last security update came out in 2021.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BigBillsd

Occasional Visitor
I've been using my RV320 for a long time and they were updating the security once or twice a year, until last year. Now I need to replace it with something that will hopefully get security updates for 3-5 more years... preferably more.. I am finding nothing on the cisco site that isn't 4+ years old already, or cost prohibitive for a home installation. I don't want/need wireless out at the demark where it resides as its way to close to the streets. My AP's are at the back were I need WiFi for laptops and tablets. I was a bit surprised to find almost nothing on wired routers on this site anymore, everything is WiFi here. Is there a better forum site for old school wired networks? Thanks, Bill

I've been using my RV320 for a long time and they were updating the security once or twice a year, until last year. Now I need to replace it with something that will hopefully get security updates for 3-5 more years... preferably more.. I am finding nothing on the cisco site that isn't 4+ years old already, or cost prohibitive for a home installation. I don't want/need wireless out at the demark where it resides as its way to close to the streets. My AP's are at the back were I need WiFi for laptops and tablets. I was a bit surprised to find almost nothing on wired routers on this site anymore, everything is WiFi here. Is there a better forum site for old school wired networks? Thanks, Bill
Posted something about Draytek wired routers in this thread last week. There's also mention of the UDM Pro and TPLink wired routers as well.

You could also head over to the Mikrotik forum. Not many posts on SNB recently.

Most of the development right now seems to be x86 based. Take a look at pfsense, Opensense, and Untangle. These are more sophisticated than any little, small router.

I am looking at the Cisco Firepower 1010 firewall. It also has 2 POE+ ports so you don't need a switch. My problem is they won't sell me a license for updates without a business email address. I don't want to buy without being able to buy a license.

I am running a Cisco RV340 router and it is still supported. We had a firmware update last week.

There are a lot of mini-computers coming out that are cheap and will run the x86 software. So, I think it will be a matter of time before they take over. The small routers don't have the horsepower to run the sophisticated softwares being developed on the x86 platform.

Last edited:
Posted something about Draytek wired routers in this thread last week. There's also mention of the UDM Pro and TPLink wired routers as well.

You could also head over to the Mikrotik forum. Not many posts on SNB recently.

Are any of the routers you mention, get security updates like my Cisco did for 5 years?

Oh My, I have a Mikrotik Metal WiFi router, most cryptic thing I ever used. I had to write down how to make changes as it was so NOT intuitive I couldn't remember how to make changes each time I needed to get hooked up somewhere else.

I just ordered an ER605, of course TP link will not tell you when EOL is.. Until after the fact.

Are any of the routers you mention, get security updates like my Cisco did for 5 years?

Oh My, I have a Mikrotik Metal WiFi router, most cryptic thing I ever used. I had to write down how to make changes as it was so NOT intuitive I couldn't remember how to make changes each time I needed to get hooked up somewhere else.

I just ordered an ER605, of course TP link will not tell you when EOL is.. Until after the fact.
Ubiquiti (UDM Pro) provides support close to what Cisco does. But they've got their own share of unresolved bugs from what I've seen. That's how far prosumer devices get you I guess. Draytek is a bit of an unknown quantity. Seems to have decent hardware but iffy on the OS side. But I've seen firmware updates till September this year and it was launched in 2020. Yeah there's a learning curve on Mikrotik so you'll either love it or hate it. TP Link used to be really bad with firmware updates but they're stepping up their game in my view, especially in the enterprise networking space coming out of Covid, so that might change.

What did you end up with?
An Asus RT-BE96U. Put my goal of finding a wired router running OpenWRT on ice for now due to a lack of suitable candidates with 10Gbe (RJ-45) ports that actually work. Recently switched to an XGS-PON fiber broadband plan as the subscription price was too attractive to pass up on. So that's what the RT-BE96U'll be used for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gar
I use pfsense on a Minisforum Mini PC and it has been rock solid for the past 2 years.
Software is free for home usage, so it will get updates as long as the hardware is alive.

TP-Link Omada is one...

Ubnt EdgeRouter-X is another...

Also consider Microtik...