What's new

Looking for a POE router (8-16 ports) or POE switch (8 ports) with port scheduling / time range

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ooompa

New Around Here
Also, it has to be accessible via web interface, and not Windows software (assuming MikroTik RouterOS requires that for all features) and involve no subscription fees.

So far I have found this:
TRENDnet TPE-3018LS
but it's more than my budget allows for and has features I don't need.

and also this:
TP-Link T1500-28Pct
it's at the top of my budget and has more ports that I will ever need (also TP-Link calls this feature a time range)

Still looking for something more reasonable.
It seems that neither MikroTik nor Ubiquiti offer this feature.

In case someone asks for a reason for this, it will have several POE AP's hooked up that have to be active on schedule only. I will test it using my older Picostation M2.

Last edited:
@ooompa - What exactly is your budget? How many watts of PoE+ will you need in total, roughly? Any specific management features required other than PoE scheduling?

Regarding PoE routers, the only SOHO/SMB level options I'm aware of are the Cisco RV260P and RV345P, and while they're nice in concept, I'd only consider one if the use-case really demands you converge routing and switching into a single box. Otherwise, you're either compromising on throughput (260P) or over-spending (345P) versus a combo of a discrete router and managed PoE+ switch.

That said, the three switches you've shortlisted are a bit scattered on price and features:
TPE-3018LS - I'd avoid TRENDnet in favor of a more proven switching products.
T1500-28PCT - Access ports are 10/100Mb only. Especially for $400, I'd look for gigabit access ports, at minimum.
GS1900-10HP - If 77W is enough budget, would work, and best brand of the three IMHO.

I'd avoid both Mikrotik and Ubiquiti (btw, Mikrotik can be administrated from the web, WinBox not required, although it does make things much, much faster/easier).

All that said, Zyxel isn't bad, but I'd also look at Cisco CBS250 or CBS350, which are a class above the others in software, build and support quality/longevity, and also offer fanless/silent options for up to 24 gig ports of PoE+ (!!!). The CBS250-8FP-E-2G ($239 - ProVantage) can do basic Layer 3, has 120W of PoE+ and two dual-personality RJ45/SFP uplink ports. Probably the best bang for the buck in the segment. TL;DR - The "E" in the model name designates an external power supply (power brick). For internal, you'd have to bump up to a 16-port model, or 8-port CBS350. Here's the full CBS250 comparison matrix.

Last edited:
You're dramatically limiting your options going for a router with integrated PoE. These tend to be more applicable for branch applications where space and consolidation are priorities.

If you have space and somewhere quiet to put it (has fans) you could go for a refurb SG220-26P from eBay:

Configure Time-Based Port Management in the 220 Series Smart Plus Switches - Cisco

SG250 series can probably do it too SG250-10p probably on eBay also

Best of luck