What's new

Looking for a replacement for RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

yokuyuki

Occasional Visitor
It seems like my RT-N66U is on the way out so I'm looking for a replacement for it. I currently have a 300/20 internet connection with 3 wired devices and about 14 wireless devices (currently all <= WiFi 5) connected to it including various IoT devices in a medium-sized apartment in a dense city although I'm looking to get a house at some point.

Some of the features that I use:
  • DDNS
  • DoT
  • Using the guest SSID as a separate VLAN to isolate IoT devices from the intranet
  • SSH access to tunnel connections
  • Port forwarding
  • Manually assigned IP in DHCP
I am security conscious so frequent firmware updates to keep it secure is important to me.

I've been looking at either another ASUS router since I'm familiar with the interface, but I've also been taking a look at the UDM.

It seems like my RT-N66U is on the way out so I'm looking for a replacement for it. I currently have a 300/20 internet connection with 3 wired devices and about 14 wireless devices (currently all <= WiFi 5) connected to it including various IoT devices in a medium-sized apartment in a dense city although I'm looking to get a house at some point.

Some of the features that I use:
  • DDNS
  • DoT
  • Using the guest SSID as a separate VLAN to isolate IoT devices from the intranet
  • SSH access to tunnel connections
  • Port forwarding
  • Manually assigned IP in DHCP
I am security conscious so frequent firmware updates to keep it secure is important to me.

I've been looking at either another ASUS router since I'm familiar with the interface, but I've also been taking a look at the UDM.

What is your budget, if I may suggest rt-ac86u is very good bang for the performance while at same time get frequent updates.

If the RT-AX88U is in your budget, that is the one to get today. :)

But don't forget to check your original thread for a possible way to get your current router stable again. :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!