What's new

Looking for a solution in search of a problem :)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Preskitt.man

Regular Contributor
Currently have an AC86U as a primary router and an AC68U as a mesh node (backhaul is ethernet). Basically it works fine; have no real speed issues - video streams just fine. But if I were to add an AX router (thinking of AX68U) to the mix to get WiFi 6 coverage in the home, my thought was to
1) Replace the AC86U with the AX68U as the main router to the home. This is in the front of the house, near my office, where I typically use my S22+ which has AX capability
2) Replace the AC68U with the AC86U as a mesh node. This device is in the family room in back of the home, and streaming devices like the main TV are connected to it; some by cable, and some via WiFi
3) Put the AC68U in the rear bedroom - not frequently used, but is the weakest area in the house. Would still be connected by ethernet.

Does this plan make sense, or am I throwing away to much money in quest of a tax deduction (I deduct home office expenses)

I deduct home office expenses

AC86U - the most unreliable Asus router, many have died already and got replaced
AC68U - the oldest Asus router with AiMesh support and the oldest AC Wave 1 radio

Deduct some more and replace both with 2x AX86S. They go on sale from time to time. CAD230 (USD180) last week in Canada.

Read this before you go for AX68U:

Fair enough what you suggest - but I will say this with regard to the two routers I currently have, I have not had issues with either one (so far) over the years, As for the AX86S, seems to be notably different than an AX86U. The lack of the 2.5 GHz port and only 1 USB 3 port don't really concern me. I have some concerns about the lack of memory - only 512MB. Memory is really cheap now adays - and if they cheaped out on this, what else did they do? On the one hand, that all my AC86U has - on the other hand, it regularly shows 95% - only 28MB free. But that may be due to caching issues. I am not a gamer, so that is not a concern of mine.

I have not had issues with either one

AC68U is one of the most popular and reliable models, but it's also the oldest one. AC86U may not give you any indications of trouble and just go down one day. It's a very good router when it works, unfortunately too many people have lost one or more. Some of my observations why it is happening are here. AX86S is like better built direct replacement for your AC86U with extra AX support. It has the same Wi-Fi performance as more expensive AX86U. If you have high enough budget and time to wait, a new AX86U Pro is coming in few months time with updated hardware. It will be >$250 per unit though.

it regularly shows 95% - only 28MB free

Because you have USB attached storage.

If you must buy something new; 2x RT-AX68Us, 2x RT-AX86Us, or 1 RT-GT-AX6000 is what you should be looking to upgrade to (anything else is a side-grade), depending on your budget.

I would only reuse the current routers as Media Bridges for your (distant) wire-capable devices.

What are your ISP speeds, up/down?

We're always throwing away too much money. But given that you want to spend some of it... the suggestions above will give you a faster, more responsive, and dependable network, above, what you currently have today.

All the routers suggested above may be enough with just 'one' in your home, but with a 2x (wired backhaul) setup, the WiFi will be more evenly available. The GT-AX6000 has superior range and throughput of even the RT-AX86U and a single unit may be all you need (you'll need to test and see in your home, of course).

I would only reuse the current routers as Media Bridges for your (distant) wire-capable devices.

What are your ISP speeds, up/down?
I currently have 300 Mbs (reciprocal), My office PC is wire connected to the AC86U. The AC68U is the AI mesh node with wired backhaul. Ethernet connection there to my family room TV. About 15 IOT type devices (Echos, Ring Doorbell, Ecobee Thermostat, TP Link plugs, etc.). 2 Laptops that do mostly internet browsing. And two Android cellphones - that depend upon VoIP for calls as well as data access in general. I have OpenVPN server running on the 86U, and use that as a general VPN server when travelling as well as providing access to home network from remote locations.

Of greatest concern to me is reliability/availability/consistency/security. Secondary concerning is range

Any single router I suggested above should prove to be superior to your current setup. Any two identical units should easily saturate the entire area with fast, consistent and dependable Wi-Fi (in wired backhaul mode).

All of the suggested routers will give greater throughput and have lower latency than the RT-AC86U.

Note that a single router is always preferred, if possible in the wireless environment allows it.

I'm assuming you mean 300Mbps symmetrical (up/down) speeds (I don't understand your use of 'reciprocal' here).

In all circumstances with any new router I've suggested, I would not run any of the old routers in any mode other than Media Bridge mode. They will degrade the overall network performance otherwise.

If only wired connections are needed at those remote locations, a simple switch is highly preferred.

In your situation, I would buy all the routers you're considering, start testing with the least expensive one, and only add a second (identical) router as needed.

If the cheapest model isn't sufficiently enough of an upgrade, repeat the process with the next most expensive set. But, always begin your testing with a single router.

You may find that a single new router is all you need to noticeably enhance your current network performance.

The RT-AC86U is about half the throughput of the RT-AX68U.

The RT-AX86U is around 20% faster than the RT-AX68U.

The GT-AX6000 is around 20% faster than the RT-AX86U.

All the above are 'at the same distance' (about 30' one wall, one floor away) from the router to the same AX210 equipped laptop. Similar % increases apply to most AC class client devices too with the routers specified above.

If you're expecting to significantly increase your ISP speeds (before you buy another future router), the GT-AX6000 is the model I would be looking at today for you.

Thanks! All makes sense. The one problem area in our house is my where my wife sits with her laptop in the kitchen. Long story short - entry point of internet to our house (the wiring closet) is in the SE corner of the house. The primary router (the 86U sits on the top shelf of the closet adjacent to the wiring. No other practical place it can be. My wife sits with her laptop at the desk in the kitchen - it's in the NE corner of the house - several walls and about 60 feet away. That is the primary reason for the AIMesh router. It is NW side of the house, about 40 feet and no walls away from the kitchen desk. There is no way she is going to allow either a wired connection to her laptop or a router sitting in that area.

And yes, I did mean 300 Mbs symmetrical - not reciprocal. :))

60' (even with several walls between them) isn't that far.

I wouldn't be surprised if even the RT-AX68U got a better signal/throughput than what you have now. ;)

Have you considered moving the main router to an (even slightly) more central location? It would need at least two Ethernet runs to that spot (one for WAN, one for LAN), but it would solve many problems. And, it seems like you have some sort of wired capability already at your home.

At the kitchen desk area, is there any signal at all with one router, 'on'? Is the signal usable (i.e. I mean, can you actually browse the internet at all)?

Even within the closet its currently in, have you tried different orientations/height and placements to see if it makes a tangible difference to that far location?

Prior to getting the AC86U, I had a single router (AC68U) located in the bedroom closet. Had a weak but "usable" signal in the kitchen. And phone calls (VOIP) often dropped when in the kitchen area. There is an ethernet drop in the kitchen, and I hooked Wife's laptop up to that, She was not fond of that solution. Also at this time, had a switch in the living room (where 68U is now) for connecting to TV. So, got the AC86U and basically went straight to AIMesh approach. Figured, why not - got the equipment, and could do wired backhaul. Basically, this solution solved my problems. Wife was happy (very important consideration), calls weren't being dropped as I moved through the house, and TV still had the wired connection. Frankly, it's been a relatively stable solution. But with all my main devices now supporting WiFi 6, figured it was time for an upgrade. And here we are.

Since I still would want the TV in the family room wired, I'm assuming if I either left the AC68U or moved the AC86U to the living room as a media bridge - that would be a viable solution for that issue?

Actually, as I read about Media Bridge, it is a wireless connection from main router to the Media Bridge, and then wired to the media devices. Seems like it would be more solid to set it up in AP mode and just turn off the radios.

Actually, as I read about Media Bridge, it is a wireless connection from main router to the Media Bridge, and then wired to the media devices. Seems like it would be more solid to set it up in AP mode and just turn off the radios.

Yes, if you have the wire for an AP, you don't need a wireless media bridge.

OE

As AP mode requires a wired connection, it is more logical to use an Ethernet switch, instead. ;)

Remove phones/tablets from this count. You'll see no or very little difference between AC and AX connection.

Yep, As I said, "Looking for a solution in search of a problem". What would be nice is if a single AX router could replace my 2 node mesh system.

What would be nice is if a single AX router could replace my 2 node mesh system.

Some sales people around may try to convince you newer AX routers are much better than your AC86U to your existing AC clients. You'll be served links and examples to fictional networks. They are not or the difference is minimal. See my signature below. AC86U is exactly equivalent to forum's favorite AX86U to common 2-stream AC clients. No difference whatsoever in both speed and range. My AX86U is a little weaker, actually. AC86U is an excellent router, when it works. Ask yourself what benefits you are going to get from your investment. In most cases it's better speedtest to single client.

If you want to play with something new, again - 2x AX86S on sale for about $360 max. Skip latest and greatest, skip routers with features you don't need or use, skip the troubled, cheap and ugly AX68U, skip overpriced "mesh" offers. If you don't need Guest Network to node, experiment with AC68U in Access Point mode on different Wi-Fi channels. AC86U on 36-48 and AC68U on 149-161. You'll get higher throughput from your available hardware. If you need more range in exchange of speed - use 40MHz wide channels. You can bump the signal level to clients with 3dBm. Wider channel - less range.

Last edited:
Stop spreading FUD. I'm not a salesperson. I work with my hands, and with products that actually work too, for my customers.

What makes no sense is to be taking advice from a person that doesn't use the products he's talking about.

The products I mention and recommend here are all used by me and my customers. Not one isolated example that works (or not), but many and in many wireless environments too.

The RT-AC86U was once great. Today, not so much. But even this 'troubled' model ('troubled', depending on the thread you catch the imposter advising about the equipment he only knows about in theory) is still going solidly for many customers today too.

Here is an example of the RT-AX68U being superior to the RT-AC86U (and many other older routers too, Asus and others).

Report - 2x RT-AX68U upgrade over 2x RT-AC86U in wireless backhaul mode

And do note how a single RT-AX68U was superior to 2x RT-AC86Us in wireless AiMesh mode too.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!