What's new

Looking for a USB modem for 5G speeds, that could handle the heat generated.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

domic

Regular Contributor
So Internet has gotten too expensive everywhere I look in my country, and I'm looking for solutions.

I've already migrated my family households to use modern Asus Routers (so 4 in total), and they all support USB 3.0 (5 Gbps data link).

So I'm thinking, if there's some USB 5G modem hardware that has built-in cooling to be able to handle up to 24/7 loads of several hundreds (or more) Mbps duplex (both ways), I could buy and setup four of these USB modems at each household, and get some unlimited family mobile internet subscription that totals to a lesser monthly cost for all of us in the long run.

Today, a dedicated IP address isn't important to me when internet prices has gone up.

So what 5G USB modems would you recommend to me? We live in Europe.

24/7 loads of several hundreds (or more) Mbps

You need very close if not LOS 5G tower for this speed. Is it available around all four locations?

If you mention what country you live in perhaps someone from the same place may suggest models they have experience with.

You need very close if not LOS 5G tower for this speed. Is it available around all four locations?
What speeds should I expect in "not ideal"?
All locations are in city centers, one or two maybe not right next to 5G towers.
I have yet to test 5G speeds on all these locations.

City centers? I would expect 'bad'. Or, at the very least, highly variable and inconsistent. With a bucketful of latency on top too.

As @Tech9 and @L&LD mention - no one single easy answer for 5G connectivity.

Much depends on the network operator, and whether they've planned and rolled out the network design to support 5G Fixed Wireless Access for Broadband use - here in the US, two of the major players have deployed Home Internet (T-Mobile US and Verizon Wireless), and those solutions can be very competitive to traditional cable/fiber/xDSL deployments.

Check with the local operators first - see what they offer, and decide accordingly.

What speeds should I expect in "not ideal"?

Expect fluctuating speed and latency depending on the tower load.

If comfortable sharing, what European country has residential Internet too expensive?

Expect fluctuating speed and latency depending on the tower load.

If comfortable sharing, what European country has residential Internet too expensive?
To clarify, it's Sweden, but I should have mentioned I am looking for the lowest monthly cost (unlimited data plans) available, and Swedish ISP tech I know of (StarLink/optic/Coax/vDSL/Mobile Broadband) in my area dont have any offers below 300 SEK/month, nor many offers below 400 SEK (and I'm trying to reduce my household costs as much as possible), when I'm looking for up to 150 SEK costs, which we used to have here and there.

There is only one Mobile Internet 1/1 Mbit connection available today for 129 SEK that I know of, and I mean, it's not exactly very usable other than basic slow browsing/ssh connections/emailing etc.

First world problems, I am aware, but I want to reduce my costs where possible.

I want to reduce my costs where possible.

This cheaper mobile connection may remind you every day about reduced costs idea.

400SEK is about 38USD. This is actually cheap compared to what offers we have here in Canada.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!