What's new

Looking for a router for the next 10 years - need advice for $200 budget

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Not a problem.

I don't see it as a problem as well. The support champions like RT-AC68U were like $250 new 10+ years ago. The new routers with much better 4-core hardware and 2.5GbE ports for $250 now are actually much cheaper devices inflation adjusted. If they last for 5 years - good enough.

I don't see it as a problem as well.
But do I actually need that kind of model like AX86U for my requirements or AX58U/AX68U will be good for the next 5 years and just upgrade after that? I don't want to overpay for something (specs/features) I won't need.

Wirecutter not my favorite review site, but—they update their recommendations every few months, not every five years.

They also provide/publish their test results and describe their methodology.

That wirecutter link is cute. They spent five years researching which router will be best today. Sigh..

or AX58U/AX68U will be good for the next 5 years

The two may not be good for next 2 years. One was already replaced by different hardware variant (AX58U V2) and the other was already replaced by multiple AX3000 class products (AX68U). They will probably hit Asus' End-Of-Life list first. AX86U Pro is your minimum safe home router "investment" for the next 4-5 years. Longer support - unlikely. Some AX-class routers like AX56U and AX92U are already on End-Of-Life list.

Last edited:
Looking for any advise/help

My last advise/help - home router is not an investment and there is no much future proofing. Look at it as disposable device with planned obsolescence. Get what you need now and upgrade when you need something better. If you overpay now - you will most likely lose the overpaid amount. Some may disagree, but with Wi-Fi 7 coming the marketing will make Wi-Fi 6 products obsolete faster. This is a business. The consumers are the source of income.

Good luck!

Would it still be AX86U Pro

Are you in the USA?

If the answer is YES, I would most likely get an RT-AX86S for $169 and call it a day. It will be supported for at least few years, it has space saving vertical design, Asuswrt-Merlin support and good for Gigabit ISP. The same radios and Wi-Fi performance like popular RT-AX86U, but dual-core CPU and no 2.5GbE port. Positive feedback from people around opting for this cheaper model. With your low requirements it will serve the purpose for years and will be a significant upgrade to what you currently have. If longer support is the main goal - RT-AX86U Pro, but on sale price. I've seen it close to $200.

1694370662978.png

Last edited:
That wirecutter link is cute. They spent five years researching which router will be best today. Sigh.

GT-AX6000. Wait for it to go on sale, if you must. Either way, the best bang for the buck.
It's an affiliate site. They will tell you whatever they need to make you click their links 🙂

I had the same question about 1 year ago and I have moved on with RT-AX86S (now ~ 170 USD).
AX86S shares the same firmware and the same radio modules with AX86U (250 USD), but with slower CPU and less RAM.

A lot of people in the last 2 years, here on this forum and on Reddit were praising AX86U as the model that will have the longest firmware support in future, similar to what AC68U had with ~ 10 years of firmware support. Only time will tell if it was a good prediction.

AX86S seems to me to be the best bang for the buck if you're not targeting "the latest".
I see that a couple other persons in this thread suggested AX86S also.

I have purchased 2x RT-AX86S routers as replacements for failing RT-AC86Us. People using them have Asuswrt with auto firmware update enabled, single router network, basic configurations. Asuswrt bugs here and there don't affect any of them. Purchased on sale for CAD180 here in Canada or around USD130. Hard to find model these days, when on sale disappears fast. I was surprised Amazon USA has a few available.

Not sure if RT-AX86s is any different, but RT-AX86U isn't the router to buy today. Will not receive 3.0.0.6.xxx level firmware when it is going to be released in the near future.

Bad advice to suggest purchasing one today. Particularly with its unbalanced hardware (single 2.5GbE WAN or LAN port). And even more so when the superior GT-AX6000 is available for purchase at the same or lower prices (wait for sales) and balanced hardware, and will receive 3.0.0.6.xxx level firmware (soon).

No 3.0.0.6 firmware, reserved for Pro models, doesn’t mean no further support. I’ve read somewhere on SNB Forums RT-AX68U was highly recommended. This one had no 3.0.0.4 firmware update for a year. I’ve read “for a few dollars more” theory as well. Best for me is not necessarily best for someone else. My new APs are $500 each. Highly recommended, seriously. AIO home router isn’t something I would buy today.

Last edited:
RT-AX86U isn't the router to buy today. Will not receive 3.0.0.6.xxx level firmware when it is going to be released in the near future.

And your point ? Who cares not needed. As long as it's kept up to date with security patches i doubt 99% of users would give a hoot.

My point is 3.0.0.4.xxx level (only) firmware-supported routers will probably be dropped first.

I'm pretty sure 99% of users would give a hoot about that.

And because of this you have to overpay for a router that takes three times more space, has ports you won't use and starts a new beta cycle with firmware features you perhaps also don't need and will never use? By the time you may eventually need all the features the same router you overpaid for few years ago will also land on the EoL list, replaced by next generation in Wi-Fi technology. Then you finally realize there no "investment" and "futureproofing" with something disposable by design as an AIO home router and you just sponsored your favorite vendor - the same one who just EoL'd your "investment" and "futureproofing" for mostly marketing reasons.

As a standard user, I had a NetGear N600 wndr3400v3 router for the last 10 years with 0 issues. For those 10 years my cable speed plan went from 10mb to 200mb now, so I am looking to upgrade my router to be used for the next 10 years or more.

erm - no...

This is like one of those interview questions - "where do you see yourself in 5 years" - in my area, that's an impossible question to answer as the job time/half-life is about a year and a half...

Where things are at the moment - we've got WAN side improvements with DOCSIS4 and Fiber as well as Fixed Wireless Access over 5G, it's hard to tell where things will be in 3 years, much less 10..

At the moment with WiFi6 - well, to be honest, and folks are going to hate on me - any AC1900 class device is "good enough" and it will be good enough for the next couple of years...

For the Asus FanBois - the RT-AC68U is still as good/relevant today as it was 9 years ago...

why - physics at the end of the day - one can only get enough bits out of a stream when considering the surrounding noise from other WLAN's...

So look to the present as it is - any wifi6 device is 'good enough' and will be good for the next couple of years...

Your strawman arguments are tiring. Nobody is saying to overpay for anything. Nobody is saying investment or future-proofing.

The facts are black and white. Spending even a fraction of the price for a non-AX class router that will be dropped sooner than later is just costing the future price of a viable router plus the fractional price you 'saved'. There is no free lunch.

Pay when you want to. Not when you need to. It's when you 'need to' that things come to bite you in the backside.

And the hidden cost of using effectively obsolete equipment is the performance penalty incurred with each use. Yes, some may not care about this penalty. But ignoring it doesn't make this 'cost' go away.

Your strawman arguments are tiring. Nobody is saying to overpay for anything. Nobody is saying investment or future-proofing.

I have to assume your comments are not targeted at me...

As you mention - there is no expectation of "future proofing" - it's more about finding the best value for now...

If performance, security, stability and long term support is the main goal here the whole thread with AIO home routers ideas is a bad advice. This is the reason I personally don't use AIO routers. With the requirements and budget @stepinstone has - any new Wi-Fi 6 AIO router starting from $100.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!