What's new

Looking for advice on dedicated Access points

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If you have a covered distance between houses run wire. It is always better than wireless, probably cheaper too.

Hi the two houses are now joined as One....
Had some testing done
The router is a netgear ADSL D6400
ISP Utility warehouse
Ookla speed tests mbps
House A with the router PING 22, download 22.40, upload 8.88
House B using powerline PING 23, download 14.72 upload 9.28
Not sure if these are typical values for ADSL with this router and the powerline adapter

Occasionally House B manages to show see House A router on devices, so that means even this router can sometimes travel from one house A centre to House B centre
So I am wondering if the Ubiquiti Pro may well cover the whole house if mounted on the ceiling in the small indoor hallway between House A & House B.....be good if I could do it with just one Access Point.

Plan to do a small test first, going to run a temporary Ethernet cable from the router to house B to a router converted to a WAP....just to see if the same speed can be achieved as House A.....as the needs are not high, except amazon prime movies, it may be enough

Is that House A test with router a wired test? Or wireless?

I can't see that working for even just two users with both viewing amazon prime movies concurrently without constant buffering or worse.

Your internet connection is fairly slow so a lot will work. If you had a 400 megabit internet connection then things would be different. If you want to share files locally then that slow speed would bother me.

Is that House A test with router a wired test? Or wireless?

I can't see that working for even just two users with both viewing amazon prime movies concurrently without constant buffering or worse.
Hi yes the ADSL is not the best, have asked if readings were wireless or cable, if wireless I have asked for word speeds...
There are some settings in the router for speed and streaming video, will have a look later

UPDATE. The internet is Uktra Fibre, quoted as 36mbps, which assume would be a cable speed.... will see what the cable speeds are.....and how much I can get by tweaking the router for Wi-fi

Last edited:
You need to better model the distances and the materials the signals will be expected to propagate through if trying to use a single AP. Generally in older houses you have thicker or more dense walls that will severely limit the ability of WiFi signals to propagate far. Even in more modern construction, you generally assume 1 or maybe 2 walls (standard stick and drywall) before the 5GHz signal just drops. In older construction with brick or plaster, 1 wall is usually about all you get.

Mostly concerned since you are talking about a hallway between the two houses. This would mean the next wall was the former exterior wall correct? You sure signal will propagate through that well to the interior of either home?

You need to better model the distances and the materials the signals will be expected to propagate through if trying to use a single AP. Generally in older houses you have thicker or more dense walls that will severely limit the ability of WiFi signals to propagate far. Even in more modern construction, you generally assume 1 or maybe 2 walls (standard stick and drywall) before the 5GHz signal just drops. In older construction with brick or plaster, 1 wall is usually about all you get.

Mostly concerned since you are talking about a hallway between the two houses. This would mean the next wall was the former exterior wall correct? You sure signal will propagate through that well to the interior of either home?
What gives me hope, is that House B sometimes sees the House A router, obviously through the adjoining doorway & hall.

So maybe a PRO Ubiquiti can send the signal each way to House A & B
And if in the ceiling , hopefully up to the first floor of each ‘House’

The other option is to use a Ubiquiti LITE in Each ‘ house ‘ in the centres, can run an Ethernet cable to House B....cost wise, Two Lites cost approx the same as One PRO, but may be better at getting coverage. The Netgear D 4600 looks a respectable router, but as it will be used for wire feed to the AP, I guess it won’t have much to do.
House A would ideally like Wi-fi on the 1st floor. Have two problems one deciding which model & how many and then find a way to buy to try, but be able to return if unsuitable.....have an eBay seller who has agreed this, giving me 2 weeks to evaluate. Amazon are great at returns, but the LITE version is not available ‘ direct ‘ from amazon and market place sellers are not always accommodating.
The pro version is sold fulfilled by amazon, so that’s more promising re returns......
If money wasn’t a consideration I would just buy 2 LITEs and hope for the best, it’s just that the Big House is a long drive away 2-3 hours and I can’t leave my wife as she is seriously ill, we have a trip planned in April and June......so need to be able to purchase in time for the visit, but not too soon to have return problems....OMG.....

What gives me doubts is the 'sometimes' sees the House A router. This is the nature of WiFi.

Atmospheric conditions, random radio waves, etc. all affect the minute to minute performance of a local WiFi radio. I think you're asking for trouble to rely on a single unit.

Not that it won't be ideal if you could test it, fully, first. But that the hints we have are already indicating that it will more than likely be problematic in the end.

Wishing your wife all the best for a quick recovery.

What gives me doubts is the 'sometimes' sees the House A router. This is the nature of WiFi.

Atmospheric conditions, random radio waves, etc. all affect the minute to minute performance of a local WiFi radio. I think you're asking for trouble to rely on a single unit.

Not that it won't be ideal if you could test it, fully, first. But that the hints we have are already indicating that it will more than likely be problematic in the end.

Wishing your wife all the best for a quick recovery.
Hello decision time I think, but will go for two Lites I think.....ty for the good wishes for my Wife

To note, just because an AP can send a signal strong enough for a client to see it at a distance doesn't mean the client can send a signal back to the AP that is strong enough. You will easily be better served by multiple APs than a single one with as many walls as you will have to go through. A PRO has faster potential than a LITE, but it all depends on your use case and your clients. If none of you clients have 3x3 radios, the PRO will bring little to no benefit to you. A LITE has 2x2 radios on both 2.4 and 5GHz and the majority of clients have 1x1 or 2x2 usually.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!