What's new

Looking for best router for wired Roku streaming

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

evo34

New Around Here
Hi. This question may be fairly naive, but I feel like there are a million opinions as to which routers "suck" and/or are "awesome" on the Internet. So...basically I am looking to replace my current router (which seems to be slowing throughput to my PC and Roku more than it should even when I'm only using one of them). Is there a consensus opinion around here as to which brand or model performs best with streaming to a Roku 3? All I would have hooked up to it is my PC and my Roku via Ethernet (with guests connecting wirelessly only every couple months).

Preferably, I would not have to get involved in new firmware or even changing the settings of the router. Are there any lowish-end routers (~$80) considered best overall or particularly good with prioritizing wired streaming traffic?

Thanks in advance.

I don’t think your demands are too great for routers made now days. Go into the router list on this site and pick one. Using one PC and a Roku should not require fancy QoS setups. If you want a guest network pick one with a guest network.

Was hoping for a little more than "pick one" advice. There seem to be quite a range of opinions online regarding routers even for basic usage. I was hoping this would be a place with some expertise in reliability and/or auto. traffic prioritization effectiveness.

You kind of need to fit the router to the situation and one PC and one Roku is not a difficult situation for a router. If you are having problems maybe we can help with your existing router.

If you want everybody’s favorite router then that is something different.

If you think that every single router behaves identically in a simple setup, that's fine. This thread is not for you. And judging from the lack of replies, this site is not for me...

If you are technical, then your best bet is to go with something like an Asus RT-N16 and flash it with Tomato.

If you want a router with a fairly decent auto QOS engine, then make sure it has a Ubicom CPU with "StreamEngine auto-QoS"

a simple example of one of these routers would be the D-link 657.

If you have any more specific requirements other than "good wireless router for wired traffic" then I could help you more.

p.s.
My grandmother has a roku with a linksys wrt-54g v1.1 an ipad mini and a desktop computer. No issues at all for her so it would help if we knew what speed connection it is you have, current router, etc.