What's new

Looking for recommendation for a router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Paxos

New Around Here
Hello. I found this forum via Google. Newbie to this forum.

I'm looking for recommendations for a new router.

I currently have a D-Link DIR-632 and while it was performed well, it is only a 10/100MB router and is too slow for my Synology NAS servers.

I'm looking to upgrade to a 1GB router. The router must have these features:

- 8 LAN ports
- 1GB speed
- Has wireless
- Provides DMZ zone
- Allows me to allocate a static IP address if I provide the host's MAC address

I look on Amazon and the only router that has the first 3 features is the ASUS RT-AC88U. I don't know if this router provides a DMZ zone or allows for allocation of static IP addresses based on MAC addresses.

Can anyone recommend a router that has the 5 features I am looking for?

Thanks,
Paxos

- 8 LAN ports
- 1GB speed
- Has wireless
- Provides DMZ zone

Paxos

The last four features on your list are basic common standard features of most all current SOHO routers and all ASUS routers can have the features you want configured using the GUI.

As for 8 LAN ports you might want to consider just adding an 8 port unmanaged switch to a more common 4 Port wireless router. An unmanaged Gigabit switch can be had for approx US $25 and they are plug and play. This gives you many more choices of equipment and may be less expensive.

The last four features on your list are basic common standard features of most all current SOHO routers and all ASUS routers can have the features you want configured using the GUI.

As for 8 LAN ports you might want to consider just adding an 8 port unmanaged switch to a more common 4 Port wireless router. An unmanaged Gigabit switch can be had for approx US $25 and they are plug and play. This gives you many more choices of equipment and may be less expensive.

Captain STX, I already have an 8 port unmanaged switch (added to my DIR-632 router). Out of the 14 ports available, 12 are taken. So I need 12+ ports. Hence I would like a router with 8 ports.

I was looking in to getting another 8 port switch but it won't fit on my computer desk.

Captain STX, I already have an 8 port unmanaged switch (added to my DIR-632 router). Out of the 14 ports available, 12 are taken. So I need 12+ ports. Hence I would like a router with 8 ports.

I was looking in to getting another 8 port switch but it won't fit on my computer desk.

When you don't have room for a 6 1/4" x 4" switch in your setup you are pretty much stuck using an the 8 port router you picked. Not many options.

I'm looking for recommendations for a new router.

I currently have a D-Link DIR-632 and while it was performed well, it is only a 10/100MB router and is too slow for my Synology NAS servers.

- 8 LAN ports
- 1GB speed
- Has wireless
- Provides DMZ zone

I look on Amazon and the only router that has the first 3 features is the ASUS RT-AC88U. I don't know if this router provides a DMZ zone or allows for allocation of static IP addresses based on MAC addresses.

Can anyone recommend a router that has the 5 features I am looking for?

Thanks,
Paxos
The RT-AC88U has eight LAN ports.