What's new

Looking for single stream AP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Does your distro really allow control of # of MIMO streams?
Not at the UI level. The Broadcom userspace tools (wl and dhd) might possibly allow to adjust that, but you could also do it with the stock firmware. Only difference is if you need to be able to rerun the config commands at boot time, you'd need my firmware to setup boot time commands (or something like OpenWRT).

I wouldn't know if/how to do it using the userspace tools however, and everyone back in Taiwan who might know the answer is off for the holiday.

What criteria would require a single stream, two band router? Just curious.
Considering who is asking for it, I'm pretty certain he has a very valid reason to want to do so. :)

I'm positive of that too!

Still I would like to know (particularly if it may help my customers in specific situations too).

IIRC there as some Asus routers that have a "power saving" mode in their mobile app that switches to a single stream. I don't know the details though.

Yes, discovered by accident. It's called Eco Mode in Asus App, but the Tx power slider in GUI on Power Save* does the same thing, available in stock Asuswrt @thiggins. I can't guarantee it works on all Asus routers, but works on AC66U (MIPS) and AC66U B1 (AC68U). I see some AC66U for $40 on eBay.

* - single stream, but perhaps on low power too.

Not at the UI level. The Broadcom userspace tools (wl and dhd) might possibly allow to adjust that, but you could also do it with the stock firmware. Only difference is if you need to be able to rerun the config commands at boot time, you'd need my firmware to setup boot time commands (or something like OpenWRT).

I wouldn't know if/how to do it using the userspace tools however, and everyone back in Taiwan who might know the answer is off for the holiday.
No need to follow up. I wouldn't think this would be a useful setting for anything other than test purposes.

es, discovered by accident. It's called Eco Mode in Asus App,
If we can figure out which variable is set by ECO mode, it could be tracked down in the code, and possibly provide us with the wl commands to issue to manually handle the number of streams. I did a first sweep at the code and couldn't locate it.

If we can figure out which variable is set by ECO mode, it could be tracked down in the code, and possibly provide us with the wl commands to issue to manually handle the number of streams. I did a first sweep at the code and couldn't locate it.
You missed #10 and #11... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

...sometimes you just look too far away and forget what's in front of you.

You also didn't correct your post with working commands until two and a half hours later. ;)
Well, I'll admit it, Those commands in #11 wasn't correct at first, in fact it was just "wl -i eth2 1", until I went to the basement to get out my R7000 and flashed in the latest version of Fresh Tomato ready for testing, I came here again to copy those commands (because wl --help didn't show txchain/rxchain command and I forgot the exact spelling). I realized I provided some wrong commands and I quietly edited it, hope and pray no one notices it.

Apparently, didn't work (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

but even cheapo travel routers are two stream

If you can find this one - it has 1x AC radio:

Gigabit version:

I just realized I actually had one GL-AR750S.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!