What's new

Looking for suggestions for 2.5 Gbps PCIe Ethernet adapter that runs on Ubuntu

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pros:
It works good. No issue. Also you can upgrade the firmware and driver from Marvell website even if it is not in the support list. You don't need to download old firmware and driver from TP-Link website.

Cons: hot. You should check you motherboard before you buy it. You should have 'opened PCIE x1' or PCIE x4 or PCIE X16 slot. If you use PCIE x16 all of PCIE X16 slots work as X8.

They look like an Asus one I have here. https://www.asus.com/au/Networking-IoT-Servers/Wired-Networking/All-series/XG-C100C/

I think everybody is sleeping with Aquantia. https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B07C5VLVFF/

I have XG-C100C too. They all have the same chip on it, AQC107. Aquantia's own 'Aquantia AQtion 10G NIC Card' is discontinued. They just sell chips these days.

Errr, that's BS! You need to use different transceivers if you are having that problem. Try ones from FS.com, Mikrotik, Flypro, Ipolex - they all work at multi-speeds on my 10Gbs networks.
I bought some Wiitek's that are supposed to be multi-speed and tried connecting one in a ConnectX-3 in a Linux box to a Realtek 2.5G USB on an ESXi box. The weird thing is that iperf3 gives me 2.2-ish Gbps from the slow interface to the fast one but only 750Mbps in the opposite direction. Same thing if I use Windows 10 instead of ESXi.

And Linux thinks it is connected at 10Gbps which I've read is okay because the transceiver is doing the rate matching using pause frames. Maybe flow control isn't working correctly?

They are Multi-Gig capable, but yeah not sure what’s the issue in your case. Have you tried manually setting the link rate?

And for any potential buyers, Wiitek and 10GTek transceivers were the best power use and performance wise vs all the others such as Mikrotik (worst I believe especially power consumption wise) etc in ServeTheHome’s testing, granted generally relatively small differences.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!