What's new

Looking for suggestions for wired router tethered via usb that supports port forwarding for home assistant in an RV

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jethro

New Around Here
Hello everybody I have just joined this site a few minutes ago and here is what I looking for: I am hoping to run Home Assistant on a Raspberry Pi inside a vehicle (a van conversion) and so my idea was to get a small wired router that will allow me to use an old 4g phone to provide internet access to the Pi. Importantly, I want to enable remote access to the Home Assistant instance using port forwarding and DuckDNS. I have done this at home and it only took ten minutes to get the external DNS working for Home Assistant.

I am used to using HA and I have a Pi set up already but I need to find a way to get it working in my vehicle. The vehicle has a solar setup with usb power.

Can you suggest a small wired router that will will accept a tethered UBS internet connection and allow me to plug in a Pi via RJ45?

Thanks

Jethro

Do you need to use the phone? Why not use a SIM in an LTE travel router or LTE modem, something like this:

EDIT: Looking at the product above it seems to only work with the T Mobile network in the US. I don't know if that's a common restriction (the rest of the world doesn't seem to have such limitations). :confused:

Last edited: