What's new

Looking for the cheapest Asus router which natively (through ASUSWRT) supports both WireGuard & VPN Fusion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CTV

Occasional Visitor
Hi All,

As the title implies, I am looking to another (cheapest) Asus router which natively (through ASUSWRT) supports both WireGuard & VPN Fusion, the latter capability (assign devices to different VPN profiles) I suspect might be supported under another (newer?) moniker.

I currently have an Asus ROG Rapture GT-AC2900 as my primary router and one RT-AC68U (my old one) as an AiMesh node. I would really like to be able to set up a VPN connection using WireGuard for the added speed which is evident when connecting my mobile device using this protocol on the same network (breakout), while at the same time I would conditionally like to route some devices via the WireGuard VPN tunnel and the rest either directly out on the internet or other tunnel(s) - hence the requirement for VPN Fusion or similar. I really don't want to be messing about with sideloading or using non-ASUSWRT firmware.

Thank you in advance!

Regards,
CTV

None right now although Wireguard is being tested in a beta on some AX devices. VPN Fusion? not likely...

None right now although Wireguard is being tested in a beta on some AX devices. VPN Fusion? not likely...
Thank you for your reply.

Yeah, I am of the understanding (given the ongoing thread discussions) that this is being tested in beta on some AX devices. What is not clear if VPN Fusion (or similar function as called out in this video) is supported in combination as well

VPN Fusion is currently only available for their ROG models, which are more expensive.

VPN Fusion is currently only available for their ROG models, which are more expensive.
Hi there.

Thank you for your reply. That was my understanding as well (some ROG and TUF ones), through the comments from guy in the video link suggested that the newer firmware he was checking out could similarly (to VPN Fusion that is) assign VPN profiles to different devices which is what I would like to do (already doing with my GT-AC2900), though I would like to combine it with Wireguard.

I was eyeing the TUF Gaming AX5400 which according to the technical specs sheets supports VPN Fusion and according to the latest beta RC3 in principle supports Wireguard, I am wondering this will work as expected to combine these features (VPN Fusion or similar + Wireguard) using this model.

Any thoughts around this?

Thank you for your reply. That was my understanding as well (some ROG and TUF ones), through the comments from guy in the video link suggested that the newer firmware he was checking out could similarly (to VPN Fusion that is) assign VPN profiles to different devices which is what I would like to do (already doing with my GT-AC2900), though I would like to combine it with Wireguard.
The next major firmware version does offer a new VPN configuration interface, however I'm not familiar with the details as to how it compares with VPN Fusion.

Any thoughts around this?
Since this is all still beta, it's impossible to know for sure what will eventually be available and for which models once the new firmware comes out of beta.

The next major firmware version does offer a new VPN configuration interface, however I'm not familiar with the details as to how it compares with VPN Fusion.

Since this is all still beta, it's impossible to know for sure what will eventually be available and for which models once the new firmware comes out of beta.

Quick question: Is this a closed beta or is this beta version available to test?
Router: AX88U

So the title shows they are trying to incorporate more IPV6 options, but it appears to be on all AX models. I am actually unsure of their ability to port that to the AC models that are on the 2.* kernals. We will have to see what comes of this. If their additions prove to be fruitful in the beta, will you be attempting to port over any IPV6 Configuration changes they incorporate into your firmware fork? @RMerlin I only ask because I know you actually don't have a real means of testing it, but if it makes it through the firmware beta and it is portable, would you consider it?

Hi All,

As the title implies, I am looking to another (cheapest) Asus router which natively (through ASUSWRT) supports both WireGuard & VPN Fusion, the latter capability (assign devices to different VPN profiles) I suspect might be supported under another (newer?) moniker.

I currently have an Asus ROG Rapture GT-AC2900 as my primary router and one RT-AC68U (my old one) as an AiMesh node. I would really like to be able to set up a VPN connection using WireGuard for the added speed which is evident when connecting my mobile device using this protocol on the same network (breakout), while at the same time I would conditionally like to route some devices via the WireGuard VPN tunnel and the rest either directly out on the internet or other tunnel(s) - hence the requirement for VPN Fusion or similar. I really don't want to be messing about with sideloading or using non-ASUSWRT firmware.

Thank you in advance!

Regards,
CTV
If you are wanting to branch out to the more expensive ROG models, then black friday sales are approaching. It may be your best time to look into one of the newer models.

So the title shows they are trying to incorporate more IPV6 options, but it appears to be on all AX models. I am actually unsure of their ability to port that to the AC models that are on the 2.* kernals. We will have to see what comes of this. If their additions prove to be fruitful in the beta, will you be attempting to port over any IPV6 Configuration changes they incorporate into your firmware fork? @RMerlin I only ask because I know you actually don't have a real means of testing it, but if it makes it through the firmware beta and it is portable, would you consider it?
I can't directly port any OpenVPN-related change because their OpenVPN code is closed source. I will have to see if I can dig up enough information to reproduce it. But at this time this beta isn't anywhere close to a non-beta release, so it's not something I'm even thinking about at this moment.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!