What's new

Looking for two Lap tops, Can I get some help choosing which.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi, I am looking to purchase two lap tops,

1. I would like to find one somewhere around the $500 and down range, This would be used for Photo editing, Record keeping and daily activities like that.

2, This one I would like to be $800 and down , this one would be for Some Gaming and Regular Daily computer activities, Maybe some music and web surfing.

15-17 Inch Screens , I guess I am looking for two all purpose Laptops, I don't need the greatest but don't want one that is slow to open and load and freezes a lot.

Thanks

I would recommend Acer Nitro 5 notebook
(https://onplanners.com/templates/calendars/2-years) because it comes with everything you may need, 7th generation, i5 quad core CPU which is one of the best in the market and great for your usage, 8GB of ram for smooth multitasking, good SSD storage of 256GB for faster boot up and loading, 15.6 inch Full HD IPS screen which is a must have for this price range, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti GPU that should be able to handle games on medium to high settings with very good FPs, decent battery life, high build quality, backlit keyboard, and it’s within your budget.

Last edited:
2, This one I would like to be $800 and down , this one would be for Some Gaming and Regular Daily computer activities, Maybe some music and web surfing.

Check Dell's Refurb Online Store - sometimes there are some amazing deals to be found

I picked up an XPS 13 (2018 edition) high end config for $1100 - 8th Gen i7 (8th gen), 16GB ram, 512GB SSD, 4K touchscreen, Win 10 Pro...

JOE if you haven't buy them yet I would suggest wait for the black Friday you will able to get better pricing on the laptops.

I have not purchased any yet but I would like to by Christmas, Black Friday or cyber Monday may be the day. Still dont know what I want lol

What do you guys think of these as all around lap tops, can you rate them in the order you think.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VBK4SYS/?tag=snbforums-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071JPYP1Z/?tag=snbforums-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MHXNHFW/?tag=snbforums-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XGS6ZMJ/?tag=snbforums-20

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=Alien+ware+lap+top&ref=nb_sb_noss

Some of the links have two models, can you help me narrow it down, I am kind of liking the ASUS models, If I can stay under $800 would be great but not mandatory. Thanks

The specs of the two M15 laptops are the closest to what you want to do with these machines as stated in your first post.

The Dell and the Asus should likely be avoided with their much less capable processors (the i7-8750H is almost twice as powerful as the Dell, for example, with the AMD based Asus slightly exceeding it). These systems are basically obsolete at purchase today.

With gaming and photo-editing being a requirement on each; you should be looking at 16GB RAM models or more, depending on how intensive your photo-editing sessions are. :)

I would also be looking at large SSD's for these systems if you want to avoid 'freezing and slow opening' of programs too. Fortunately, SSD's have really fallen in price and are very easy to install yourself (don't buy from the manufacturer at their crazy markups) with programs such as Macrium Reflect to transfer the O/S and drivers and programs to the new SSD. :)

I too like Asus but have had negative experiences with Dell and haven't heard too many good things about Alienware (overheating, etc.). I hope my little bit of input helps.

Hi all, I purchased this one for Christmas for one of my family Members, How do I choose which HD is the default, I would like all of her pictures and projects she does default to the larger slower HD. And then Certain programs default to the Faster smaller HD. Can her Picture editing program be installed on Faster HD but her work itself default to the larger?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R2YLQNK/?tag=snbforums-20

Thank you and please explain it in simple man steps lol.

If you click on the My Images / My Documents folder and select Properties, there will be a tab allowing you to relocate these folders.

When I install a program it should give me a option of where to save / Run the program? I think I got the my DOC/Pic/Music/Download folders moved to the HDD.

When I install a program it should give me a option of where to save / Run the program? I think I got the my DOC/Pic/Music/Download folders moved to the HDD.

Program installers will vary, not all programs lets you chose a location.

When I install a program it should give me a option of where to save / Run the program?

If you want full control over where a Windows app gets installed (including on USB drives), look for the equivalent app (the major/common ones are available) on portableapps.com

Sent using Tapatalk

If a program installs on the SSD Drive am I able to easily move it to the other drive?

No, you'd have to uninstall and reinstall it, otherwise paths won't match what's stored in the configuration.

Anyone with the technical know-how skill should get the cheapest HDD option in it, and replace it with their own SSDs.

While I agree with the premise what you need to watch for is most devices in the mentioned price range no longer have a "door" or a "slide in" for the disk and that means opening the "shell" to replace the drive. That also means voiding most warranties. Just tossing that out there.

Avoid Acer at all cost, unless you want to pay cheap, for something that will die early.

I've had great luck with Acer laptops for the past 10 years. Made multiple purchases for friends and family. Always got their mid-range product.

When I was working for a large silicon maker in sales and marketing I traveled a lot and the Lenovos were always my choice every two years for refresh of "official laptop". Durable and solid machines. I had stacks of all current devices by all the major makers as part of my customer eval equipment for my job refreshed each year so I was able to do a fairly good comparison.

Now that I'm retired I picked up an Acer a couple years ago on sale at Costco and it's been rock solid. Plus the warranty was doubled by Costco. All metal body thin and light with SSD and touch screen for about $550 (13.3 inch SPIN5 I5-8250).

Make sure you check the graphics capabilities in the price range you mention. There are still makers out there trying to push less than 1080 screens. HP comes to mind ;)

And I just noticed I answered old questions in an old thread :)

Glad to see you got things resolved! HAPPY NEW YEAR :)

I've had great luck with Acer laptops for the past 10 years. Made multiple purchases for friends and family. Always got their mid-range product.

Years ago, my company sold about a dozen of Acer laptops over a period of a year (they were two or three different models if I recall, and went to three or four different customers), and 6 desktops to another customer for their student lab.

25% of laptops were defective within the first two years (not just hard drives, but motherboard issues as well). 2 of the 6 desktops also suffered hardware failures within 2-3 years (thankfully in these two cases, it was the modem which died, and prevented the PC from POSTing until I removed the defective modem).

Last year, another customer of mine bought an Acer desktop for Autocad/Revit work (funny thing, he confused Asus with Acer while shopping). Kept randomly crashing. When I examined it, I found it was overheating because Acer put a clearly inadequate cooler on the i7 7700 that came with the PC (CPU temp would reach over 90C under a typical 3D render job in Revit). The heatsink they used was big enough to handle an i3, but definitely not an i7. Poor design decision on Acer's part there for the sake of saving a few dimes. That PC ended up being moved to their conference room to use for light tasks such as Powerpoint presentations and the likes (and I believe it still occasionally freezes/BSODs).

This is why I ain't touching Acer anytime soon, and am also advising people to stay away from them.

There is a HUGE difference between consumer grade laptops and business grade laptops in both price and quality. I suspect had you also bought consumer grade from ANY of the "big vendors" and placed them in a business use environment that they too would have failed in a similar rate and fashion. I've done the "study" by example many times for customers.

Don't blame the brand for a user putting the wrong product in the wrong role. I advised F20 customers on everything they consumed to operate their business from the DC to the desktop and I always ran across the one person in the C-suite that wanted to put a $600 device in the role of the $1200 device. That is why I had stacks of devices available to me so I could put some of those consumer grade devices in service against the business grade devices with the exact intent on demonstrating the failure patterns. Are there niche uses where you can do this? YES. Should it be standard practice, ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Would you put an AC88 into an office environment as the core AP/Router??? I'd like to think your answer is no.

Years ago, my company sold about a dozen of Acer laptops over a period of a year (they were two or three different models if I recall, and went to three or four different customers), and 6 desktops to another customer for their student lab.

25% of laptops were defective within the first two years (not just hard drives, but motherboard issues as well). 2 of the 6 desktops also suffered hardware failures within 2-3 years (thankfully in these two cases, it was the modem which died, and prevented the PC from POSTing until I removed the defective modem).

Last year, another customer of mine bought an Acer desktop for Autocad/Revit work (funny thing, he confused Asus with Acer while shopping). Kept randomly crashing. When I examined it, I found it was overheating because Acer put a clearly inadequate cooler on the i7 7700 that came with the PC (CPU temp would reach over 90C under a typical 3D render job in Revit). The heatsink they used was big enough to handle an i3, but definitely not an i7. Poor design decision on Acer's part there for the sake of saving a few dimes. That PC ended up being moved to their conference room to use for light tasks such as Powerpoint presentations and the likes (and I believe it still occasionally freezes/BSODs).

This is why I ain't touching Acer anytime soon, and am also advising people to stay away from them.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!