What's new

Looking for usb interface wireless network card recommendation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The newer ones are.
Not really a surprise as it gets Mac owners to hand over another couple of grand for a WiFi grade. Similar to the deceptive NVME drive speeds by using raid 0 to boost speeds because of using a different drive socket rather than a standard M2. I could be wrong on the M2 thing but I keep seeing adapters when looking at drives. Seems like apple is using a proprietary or mPCI socket. It's a great way to hold the bottom line for shareholders.

Not really a surprise as it gets Mac owners to hand over another couple of grand for a WiFi grade.

FWIW - Apple generally does well on WiFI out of the box with decent WiFi support.

Most folks on Windows never upgrade past the card that was installed from the factory - higher end tends to get better cards, but the low end isn't very good.

Chomebook, surprisingly, are usually pretty decent on the WiFi front, even the really cheap ones, which makes sense as they are more dependent on the cloud for services (yes Chromebook's can be used offline, but in a limited manner only)

never upgrade past the card that was installed from the factory
That's where the issue is for most people which induces them to buy new laptops instead of a $30 / 5 minute upgrade.

Being captive though with Apple would surely piss some people off knowing a PC user can get better WIFI for $30 vs a new MBP for $2500...I'm not even sure the new MBP's are using WIFI6 card yet either.

Being captive though with Apple would surely piss some people off knowing a PC user can get better WIFI for $30 vs a new MBP for $2500

Not really...

My M1 Macbook Air generally outperforms my MSI GE76 Raider with it's AX201 card on WiFi - both are WiFi6 obviously.

Care to provide a link to that new Intel WiFi card?

Search doesn't come up with anything of relevance.

@L&LD

https://www.cdw.com/product/intel-wi-fi-6e-ax210-network-adapter-m.2-2230/6428539 - $14 / best deal I've ever seen on it

Unless you're talking about the 400 series - http://en.techinfodepot.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Intel_Wi-Fi_6E_AX411_(AX411NGW)

Checking with vendors though it's still not available for install / purchase.

Looks like someone is selling them on walmart.com - https://www.walmart.com/ip/WIFI-6E-...7?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101004236 $35

Last edited:
Nice, the AX411 is capable of 'Double Connect Technology'. :)

The 411 was known for a while but It’s CNVio2, and likely specifically tied to 12th gen Intel Alder Lake CPUs and upcoming 13th gen Raptor Lake CPUs. Don’t think there’s gonna be an AX410 standard card unfortunately to use with older Intel CPU gens or AMD. AX210 seems to be the end of that kind of upgradability. The 411 is also sometimes seen as the Killer AX1690. The newer Razer laptops come with the AX411. With AMD contracting Mediatek for the RZ608/616 (MT7921/2 rebrand) cards possible we might get a proper Dual Connect card from Mediatek in response to the 411 that can be used on any platform, seems there’s a 7922 variant that does.

Last edited:
@avtella all true. The 411 is like the quirky red headed stepchild. Seems like further innovations from Intel for WiFi are leaning away from standalone x10 series.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!