What's new

Looking for wireless setup/settings suggestions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lilstone87

Very Senior Member
Well I just started using a GT-AX6000 as my main router, with an AX68U to extend wifi in my home. Currently I have the AX68U as a mesh node via wired backhaul. I'm curious though would I be better off running the AX68U in AP mode, and not as a mesh node?

Reason I ask this, is I do like as much control as possible settings wise. Also just a little while ago, I disconnected my phone from my wifi, was near the AX68U, reconnected my phone to the wifi. However mesh showed phone connected to my main router. Which I found odd. I don't mind both routers running the same SSID's. I thought about Roaming Assist, but I swear trying it in the past it didn't do well dropping devices when they dropped below a certain signal level.

Main thing I'm looking for is wireless settings to maximize wifi throughput. Also having my devices connect to closest router especially when first connecting to the wifi. As I'm pretty sure speeds will be better off when connecting to a router that's 10-15 feet away, vs a router 25-30 feet away, with a wall, or two in-between. So how, and what wifi settings do you all here like to run on your Routers/AP's?

Well I just started using a GT-AX6000 as my main router, with an AX68U to extend wifi in my home. Currently I have the AX68U as a mesh node via wired backhaul. I'm curious though would I be better off running the AX68U in AP mode, and not as a mesh node?

Reason I ask this, is I do like as much control as possible settings wise. Also just a little while ago, I disconnected my phone from my wifi, was near the AX68U, reconnected my phone to the wifi. However mesh showed phone connected to my main router. Which I found odd. I don't mind both routers running the same SSID's. I thought about Roaming Assist, but I swear trying it in the past it didn't do well dropping devices when they dropped below a certain signal level.

Main thing I'm looking for is wireless settings to maximize wifi throughput. Also having my devices connect to closest router especially when first connecting to the wifi. As I'm pretty sure speeds will be better off when connecting to a router that's 10-15 feet away, vs a router 25-30 feet away, with a wall, or two in-between. So how, and what wifi settings do you all here like to run on your Routers/AP's?

How far apart are your APs?

My network details are here.

OE

Think default settings. You spent the big bucks for a good router/mesh node so trust them to choose what is best. Sounds crazy but the Dual Band Smart Connect with WPA2/WPA3-Personal, 2.4 GHz on auto channel at 20 MHz, 5 GHz at auto channel (with 160MHz checked) at 20-40-80-160 MHz. Disable WPS if you want to as it can be a security risk. Avoid DFS channels. the 5 GHz is subject to getting hit by RADAR and with the multi bandwidth you stand a better chance of keeping the 5 GHz running although at 80 MHz rather than being shut down.
As for the AiMesh, just let it run as is. Your clients and router/node will sort it out. Reliability over high bandwidth any day.

Think default settings. You spent the big bucks for a good router/mesh node so trust them to choose what is best. Sounds crazy but the Dual Band Smart Connect with WPA2/WPA3-Personal, 2.4 GHz on auto channel at 20 MHz, 5 GHz at auto channel (with 160MHz checked) at 20-40-80-160 MHz. Disable WPS if you want to as it can be a security risk. Avoid DFS channels. the 5 GHz is subject to getting hit by RADAR and with the multi bandwidth you stand a better chance of keeping the 5 GHz running although at 80 MHz rather than being shut down.
As for the AiMesh, just let it run as is. Your clients and router/node will sort it out. Reliability over high bandwidth any day.

You appear to be recommending 5.0 160MHz bandwidth... but avoid DFS channels(?).

OE

You appear to be recommending 5.0 160MHz bandwidth... but avoid DFS channels(?).

OE
Avoid setting the fixed channel to a DFS channel. Yes, 160 MHz will use a DFS channel or two but if it is hit by RADAR the router will drop back to 80 MHz and keep working. You know that but are just trying to catch an old guy making a mistake :) .

You know that but are just trying to catch an old guy making a mistake :) .

Nope, I just want your advice clarified for the benefit of the reader, especially me, and to discover anything I don't know such as the AX68U doesn't even support 160MHz bandwidth.

My advice is to try ax 160MHz bandwidth with fixed low DFS frequencies (1 option in the US), but unless you live in the middle of nowhere, prepare to cut it back to 80MHz fixed non-DFS (2 options in the US) to keep 5.0 client connections more stable... based on my observations here.

(At 160MHz, half or all of the 5.0 frequencies are DFS.)

Another such trial is Smart Connect... my advice is to observe how clients behave without SC and with different SSIDs first before trying SC so that the user can discern and attribute the any difference in client connectivity.

OE

Last edited:
The GT-AX6000 does.

Your suggestion is based on what? The single AX client with 160MHz support on your network?

For best reliability and compatibility - 20MHz wide fixed on 2.4GHz, 80MHz wide fixed on 5GHz, no-DFS channel, no SmartConnect, WPA2.

Router default settings are not the best. They are set to ensure operation somehow for people who don't know anything about Wi-Fi.