What's new

Looking to buy my own router for my 1gb Xfinity service

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

999cm999

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I have Xfinity with 1gb down and 75mb up speeds. I have a smallish, old 2-story brick house so I don't need huge wifi coverage but the more the better.

My current Gateway Router/Modem is a Xfinity provided one. It gets good speeds and has decent wifi coverage, but I am looking to gain more control over my home network. With the Xfinity modem, there are a lot of features that are locked out. I also want to install Pi-hole but the Xfinity modem doesn't allow the necessary changes needed.

So I was thinking of the ASUS RT-AC86U or the UniFi Dream Machine (UDM).

I am pretty tech and network savvy and have no problem tinkering with settings or learning new things.

But I would like a nice UI with plenty of configuration options and a good amount of stats so I can view the state of my home network.

I'd also like to keep it at $300 or below.

I'd appreciate any insight.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Do you want something like Cisco FindIT so you can check the status of your network? Google it. If you do then you want to buy something like a Cisco RV340 router.

Thanks! That sounds nice, but isn't Cisco generally business-class equipment? Also, the one with WiFi is kind of pricey at just about $400. I'd like to keep it $300 or below.

Do you want something like Cisco FindIT so you can check the status of your network? Google it. If you do then you want to buy something like a Cisco RV340 router.
BTW I just edited my question and added the price preference. :)

If you want total control you probably should buy your own modem also. You will want a modem on Comcast's approved list with a minimum of 32 channels down and 4 up.

No. You need both a modem and a router for Internet service. There some all in one units available but most posters on this forum prefer to use separate units for more finite control.

If you have landline service from Comcast then your options are even more limited and you may need as many as three separate devices.

I presume you can put the Comcast unit into bridge mode (effectively using it as a modem only)? If yes, you're in luck. If not, then you'll need to buy a certified-compatible gigabit telephony modem, of which there are currently two: the Arris T25 or Netgear CM1150V (both $250). The remaining $50 would leave you no room for even a mid-tier router, so I presume (and hope) that bridging the Comcast unit is possible.

Presuming bridging is possible, I would steer you towards an Asus RT-AX88U running the latest proven-stable Merlin build. Place that centrally and you should be good to go. I would avoid a UniFi UDM or UDM Pro for the time being, as they are continuing to experience firmware bugs with the platform (such as WAN connections dropping continuously on daily basis, which only a reboot can fix), plus UniFi's chief value is the single control plane to govern distributed wireless and switching -- not something you'll likely need with the size of your place.

I would start with the Asus, and if it falls short on the wired side of things, re-purpose it as just a wireless AP and drop in a proper x86-based firewall running pfSense or OpenWRT.

Since you don't really know what you want I would run the Comcast router unit and see what you need to improve on.

I presume you can put the Comcast unit into bridge mode (effectively using it as a modem only)? If yes, you're in luck. If not, then you'll need to buy a certified-compatible gigabit telephony modem, of which there are currently two: the Arris T25 or Netgear CM1150V (both $250). The remaining $50 would leave you no room for even a mid-tier router, so I presume (and hope) that bridging the Comcast unit is possible.

Presuming bridging is possible, I would steer you towards an Asus RT-AX88U running the latest proven-stable Merlin build. Place that centrally and you should be good to go. I would avoid a UniFi UDM or UDM Pro for the time being, as they are continuing to experience firmware bugs with the platform (such as WAN connections dropping continuously on daily basis, which only a reboot can fix), plus UniFi's chief value is the single control plane to govern distributed wireless and switching -- not something you'll likely need with the size of your place.

I would start with the Asus, and if it falls short on the wired side of things, re-purpose it as just a wireless AP and drop in a proper x86-based firewall running pfSense or OpenWRT.
Yes, I had one of the Xfinity units and it has a bridge mode. Worked just fine with an AC88.
I eventually ditched the rental for a Netgear modem.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!