What's new

Looking to upgrade router and wifi card

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sktlez

New Around Here
Currently I have the Netgear R7000 (AC1900, non p version) router, and this wireless card: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016K0896K/?tag=snbforums-20

I'm looking to purchase this card: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0192911RA/?tag=snbforums-20

As far as a new router I'm not sure what to get or if it's even worth upgrading. I have cable internet (gigabit speeds) and really don't have many issues at the moment, but would like better coverage and less variability in wireless speeds (right now i see 100mbps variations in wireless speeds). I do game, but no FPS games competitively (or even close lol). I have about 25 devices on my network split between 2.4/5ghz, and usually have games going, 4k streams, and other stuff.

HARD WIRING is NOT an option for what I want right now, and spreading multiple APs throughout the house isnt either. I can't get a cable from upstairs to the basement at all.

I really want something that is stable (rock solid), great range (would prefer decent wall penetration), fast speeds (want gigabit ehternet, and preferably 750+mbps on the wifi side).

I've looked at the Nergear r7800, xr500, ax8, and the asus rt-ac5300 or the asus rt-ax88u, but they all appear to have insane issues and this makes me super uneasy. I'd prefer to stay on stock firmwares, but open to 3rd party (i dont wanna spend hours a week troubleshooting issues though).

Last edited:
Hopefully the 86U serves you well. If it falls short for whatever reason, the next step would be business-class, discrete components: a proper wired router, optionally a switch, plus purpose-built AP(s). (You could re-purpose the 86U as just an AP to fill that role) The whole combo will be multiples more costly, but will typically be way more robust and reliable, assuming you right-size your choices and set it all up properly. Plus, you can upgrade in a modular fashion, as opposed to tearing down the whole house of cards with each and every AIO upgrade. Just some thought for the future. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!