What's new

Loss of WPA3 Capability in Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JHZR2

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

Just got a new AX56U router yesterday, and when set up with the original firmware (7xxx), it had WPA3, WPA3/WPA2, and a host of others.

I became aware that new firmware was available, and I updated it (had to manually upload as the built in updater did not work properly, and would force a reboot). Upon update and reboot, nothing would connect. I logged in by wire, and found that all mention of WPA3 was gone. It had reverted to "open", but devices would not connect. No other settings had been changed.

Upon selection of WPA2 Personal, all was well, everything connected, and things worked again (less one older computer). I updated to the Merlin version from there, and again, no WPA3. But I dont see anything about this.

Does anyone know why WPA3 was removed from the latest firmware? Is there any reason why WPA3 should be avoided? Is there any knowledge of when it might come back?

Thanks!

When jumping from one firmware version (and fork) to another, did you do a full reset/Initialize all settings and format the JFFS partition, followed by a minimal and manual configuration so that the router could begin to use the new firmware's expected defaults? :)

When jumping from one firmware version (and fork) to another, did you do a full reset/Initialize all settings and format the JFFS partition, followed by a minimal and manual configuration so that the router could begin to use the new firmware's expected defaults? :)

Honestly Im not that advanced. I downloaded the Asus firmware from Asus, and manually uploaded it. After rebooting, I factory reset it and re-entered my parameters.

Ditto when I got the Merlin version.

Im not savvy enough to know if the factory reset I did was the same as the full reset you mention, but it did seem to have all original settings as delivered.

I did not format the JFFS partition, as I do not know how to do so. Ill look into that. Would that be a reason why WPA3 doesnt show up any more? If it was legitimately removed from the firmware, is there any reason to do so otherwise, now that I have everything up and running well?

Nothing on my network is overly complex, so the only thing I needed to do is segregate the 2.4GHz bands.

Thanks!!!

The AX56U had WPA3? i dont see it in my router, if it did i wish it would come back because i really want to use it

The AX56U had WPA3? i dont see it in my router, if it did i wish it would come back because i really want to use it

Mine did. Almost wish I had grabbed a screen shot. Maybe it had the wrong firmware originally? Strangely the website doesn’t list it.

There are remnants of linkages though. It’s still linked in the faq.

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1042478

Regardless it’s OBE at this point. But curious all the same. Mine had a 7xxx (don’t recall the number) firmware fwiw.

Protected Management Frames is required for WPA3. Check your settings. It is disabled, perhaps?

Yeah i dont see it either what a shame, Maybe Merlin's Firmware does not support it yet?

Yeah i dont see it either what a shame, Maybe Merlin's Firmware does not support it yet?

WPA3 support will be identical with upstream. My firmware is already based on the latest RT-AX56U release from Asus, so the same capabilities will be present.

EDIT: just confirmed, WPA3 is not available yet on Asus' firmware either.

Last edited:
WPA3 support will be identical with upstream. My firmware is already based on the latest RT-AX56U release from Asus, so the same capabilities will be present.

EDIT: just confirmed, WPA3 is not available yet on Asus' firmware either.
Will it be soon though on the router?

PMF conflicts with some clients, like my FireTV, hope you don't run into this trying to get WPA3 to work...

PMF conflicts with some clients, like my FireTV, hope you don't run into this trying to get WPA3 to work...

I was just about to write the same thing. Rush for WPA3 and then turn it off because of incompatibilities. o_O

Reactions: Gar
Devices need to be compatible to use WPA3? or to connect to the network at all?

Devices must be WPA3-certified. Because of WPA3 requirements some older 2.4GHz devices and IoT may refuse to connect.
Ah so i guess WPA3 is not the best thing to use as they all say i suppose

Ah so i guess WPA3 is not the best thing to use as they all say i suppose

Not the best thing now. We are in transition period. With WPA3 authentication only you'll probably cut off majority of your existing clients. How many of your clients are WPA3-certified?

Reactions: Gar
Not the best thing now. We are in transition period. With WPA3 authentication only you'll probably cut off majority of your existing clients. How many of your clients are WPA3-certified?
None of my devices are certified.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk