What's new

Lost password recovery

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dlukin

New Around Here
Hello, first time poster here. I have an Asus RT-AX86U router running asuswrt-merlin RT-AX86U_3004_388.6_2_pureubi.w. My admin password was mangled (not sure how) so am unable to login to
the router through either gui or SSH, and do not have a valid back up to restore.
I've done some searching to find a way to resolve this but haven't found anything that works (or that I really understand).
So my question(s) are:
* Is there a way to gain access to the router to reset the password?
* Failing that and assuming I'm going to have to reset the router, is there a way to copy the router configuration in a human readable form to manually reconfigure after a reset?
* I'm switching my ISP is a couple of weeks; the router is set up for DDNS. Will I need login access to the router to make any changes regarding the new ISP assigned IP address, or will the
router "automagically" pick up/use the new address?

Thanks in advance for any guidance - I'm really kicking myself for not taking the right steps to protect myself from this situation.

Hello, first time poster here. I have an Asus RT-AX86U router running asuswrt-merlin RT-AX86U_3004_388.6_2_pureubi.w. My admin password was mangled (not sure how) so am unable to login to
the router through either gui or SSH, and do not have a valid back up to restore.
I've done some searching to find a way to resolve this but haven't found anything that works (or that I really understand).
So my question(s) are:
* Is there a way to gain access to the router to reset the password?
* Failing that and assuming I'm going to have to reset the router, is there a way to copy the router configuration in a human readable form to manually reconfigure after a reset?
* I'm switching my ISP is a couple of weeks; the router is set up for DDNS. Will I need login access to the router to make any changes regarding the new ISP assigned IP address, or will the
router "automagically" pick up/use the new address?

Thanks in advance for any guidance - I'm really kicking myself for not taking the right steps to protect myself from this situation.
Factory reset is your best choice. See: https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1039078/
Sorry, without a password saving settings is not possible.
Changing ISP you may need router access if PPPoE is or was involved. Anyway, do a hard factory reset. Get the router up to a good stable state, without add on's, and save a settings file.

If you have SSH access to the router, this post may help. Something tells me though that this method may have been nuked by Asus in more recent versions.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!