What's new

Lost static DHCP list

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bamsefar

I have lost the static DHCP reservation list twice now - anyone has had anything like this (I am on 384_12)?

It would usually suggest you are running out of nvram space. Check the Tools page for utilization.

I have lost the static DHCP reservation list twice now - anyone has had anything like this (I am on 384_12)?
If your list is long, consider moving it to a custom dnsmasq configuration instead of in the GUI. If you edit the /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add file to add the static reservations you can remove them from the GUI (and from NVRAM). It's also easier to back them up and restore them to a new router.

Static DHCP reservations take the form of:

dhcp-host=DE:AD:BE:EF:CA:FE,Hostname,192.168.1.2,12h
dhcp-host=DE:AD:BE:EF:FE:ED,Hostname2,192.168.1.3,12h

You can use whatever IP addresses you want as long as they're in your subnet.

Are there any special character in nvram show | grep dhcp_staticlist?

Are there any special character in nvram show | grep dhcp_staticlist?

No - just letters (not even any numbers). I find this a bit strange, it has worked for well very long time (I am after all on 384_12). And now for some freak reason it starts to fail...

I will add them all to dnsmasq.conf.add as you suggest so I don't lose them again (well I have them saved with a nvram statement /commit for safty reason nowdays...).

The only thing I can remember that is changed is that I turned on DoT on DNS settings - I have a very hard time imaging that this change could trigger this....

AX88 with RMerlin 384_12.

The thing that is strange is that it is only the MAC addresses that are gone (they are part of DHCP static reservations and WiFi MAC address filter) - nothing else. How can this kind of "selective" erase of NVRAM variables even occur?

AX88 with RMerlin 384_12.

The thing that is strange is that it is only the MAC addresses that are gone (they are part of DHCP static reservations and WiFi MAC address filter) - nothing else. How can this kind of "selective" erase of NVRAM variables even occur?
That might make sense if you were using 384_13 because that version split the MAC addresses and host names into two separate variables. Maybe it's time to update anyway.

That might make sense if you were using 384_13 because that version split the MAC addresses and host names into two separate variables. Maybe it's time to update anyway.

Well I am only on 384_12, and I am thinking of 384_14 - however before that I would like to see that the MAC addresses (lists) are stable again. That being said, I might very well upgrade anyway, and do it the hard way (enter everything from scratch again) just to be sure.

Well I am only on 384_12, and I am thinking of 384_14 - however before that I would like to see that the MAC addresses (lists) are stable again. That being said, I might very well upgrade anyway, and do it the hard way (enter everything from scratch again) just to be sure.
You'll probably end up having to redo them again when the AX88U catches up with the GPL anyway:
Code:
384.14 (14-Dec-2019)
  - NOTE: You might need to reconfigure your device hostname on the
          LAN -> LAN IP page due to a GPL-level change (excluding
          the RT-AX88U)

Last edited:
You'll probably end up having to redo them again when the AX88U catches up with the GPL anyway:
Code:
384.14 (14-Dec-2019)
  - NOTE: You might need to reconfigure your device hostname on the
          LAN -> LAN IP page due to a GPL-level change (excluding
          the RT-AX88U)

This is strictly for the router's own hostname.

Lost my list as well after I enabled dns over tls.

Nvram usage as such
58551 / 65536 bytes

Anything I can do to lower usage?

I have diversion skynet and amtm installed.

Sent from my SM-A505U1 using Tapatalk

@Bamsefar
@dave14305 assisted me in restoring this in a different post.

Please putty into your router and run these 3 commands.

Mine returned right away in the webui.

dave14305 said:
If you are comfortable with SSH, login to the router command line and check:
Code:
cd /etc
cat hosts.dnsmasq
grep "^dhcp-host=" dnsmasq.conf

I already have them all saved - but as I wrote I lost them 4 (four) times... And I never lost MAC addresses before DoT.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!