What's new

Low bandwidth on RT-AC86U wired LAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

_zero

New Around Here
I have two Synology NAS, each with 1000 Mbps, full duplex network cards at MTU 9000. My transfer rates between them are about 100 Mbps. Both are wired directly to the router. I replaced their cat5 cables with cat6a, and no difference. Not much else is happening on the router.

Any ideas how to get much higher transfer rates? Thank you.

Out of curiosity, why are the NAS units running at an MTU of 9000 instead of 1500? I'm assuming that the router is running at 1500 for internet use?

MTU Different? Bet the router switch is working its butt off breaking up those jumbo frames and retransmitting them at 1500.

Out of curiosity, why are the NAS units running at an MTU of 9000 instead of 1500? I'm assuming that the router is running at 1500 for internet use?
The router is set for jumbo frames, as are both NAS. I am transferring large video files. Suggestion?

Dump the jumbo frames. Large files will transfer just fine with standard Ethernet settings! Did a speed test from my wired PC to NAS, 1.4 GB file copied in 12 seconds. And the NAS is behind a Netgear 5 port Home switch

I'll give that a shot and see what happens. Presently I have a 5TB transfer in-process, so it may be a few days before I can try that. My max rate now is 25MB/s, transferring files averaging 3GB.

I'll give that a shot and see what happens. Presently I have a 5TB transfer in-process, so it may be a few days before I can try that. My max rate now is 25MB/s, transferring files averaging 3GB.

I've got 3 NASs ( a synology ds416j, a synology ds418 and an asustor as5202t) hooked via an rt-ac86u - no problems hitting a sustained 100-120MB/s talking to them (well at least the two faster ones - the old DS416j struggles to sustain speeds above about 80MB/s) - all using standard frames (mtu=1500). Had to shove about 10tb around between them last weekend (disk upgrade - so moving data off/on before changing out for larger drives)

I'd definitely kill the jumbo frames

I've got 3 NASs ( a synology ds416j, a synology ds418 and an asustor as5202t) hooked via an rt-ac86u - no problems hitting a sustained 100-120MB/s talking to them (well at least the two faster ones - the old DS416j struggles to sustain speeds above about 80MB/s) - all using standard frames (mtu=1500). Had to shove about 10tb around between them last weekend (disk upgrade - so moving data off/on before changing out for larger drives)

I'd definitely kill the jumbo frames
I'm limited by a 213j, as its CPU is running 97% when files come in (lower when transferring out as you might expect). I dropped jumbo frames and probably averaged around 85M/s. This is approx (eye-balling here) 5-10M/s greater than with jumbo frames. As I thought bout this, I didn't see jumbos helping with video streaming either... So jumbos aren't really helping, and they are gone for now.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!