What's new

Low power nas

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mgiammarco

New Around Here
Hello,
I am searching for a dual (or quad) hdd nas with following features:

- lowest (lowest!!) possible power consumption
- hackable (I need to put linux/debian on it)
- decent performance (I hope that with gigabit ethernet it can do at least 30/40mb sec reads)
- low cost, if possible

Thanks in advance for any suggestion!!!

Mario

- hackable (I need to put linux/debian on it)
That eliminates all commercial products, assuming you don't want to try to hack/break the embedded LInux or BSD that comes with the product.
That said, you'll need to go the DIY route.

Yes I will hack it

That eliminates all commercial products, assuming you don't want to try to hack/break the embedded LInux or BSD that comes with the product.
That said, you'll need to go the DIY route.

For sure I will hack/break it. I do not want to go DIY; I will go DIY if I can find an ARM board with several sata ports, 2/3 watt power usage and a nice case to put it into. Sorry intel/amd solutions draw too much power I have already built several of them for my office and home.

QNap Has Marvell based NAS's that appear to be gear towards Green (23W during operation, Atom, just the processor, is rated at 35W)

Previous QNaps have been hacked, so I don't see why this one shouldn't be modifiable. But you may lose your power rating when doing so, it looks like the kernel they supply is tuned to shut everything down when inactive.

You hack it, you own it - all bets are off.

Use the NAS Finder, set CPU filter for Marvell Kirkwood, then click on Power-Normal or Power-Eco to sort. Note power shown is with drives.