What's new

Lower Speeds at 2.4

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

macster2075

Very Senior Member
Hi..
I have an RT-68P router with the latest firmware. My internet speeds are 50/6.

I’ve noticed that after the recent updates, I am no longer reaching 50 Mbps when connected to the 2.4 wifi. If I connect to the 5ghz then I get over 50.

I wonder what’s changed...why I can no longer even reach 40 on the 2.4 anymore, even standing next to the router...it was fine before until I updated the firmware a couple of firmwares ago.

By "latest" firmware do you mean Merlin 384.18?

If so I'm having issues with the 2.4 GHZ on an AC68U. Another AC68U seems to be OK. Was wondering if the first was having a 2.4 GHZ radio failure.

By "latest" firmware do you mean Merlin 384.18?

If so I'm having issues with the 2.4 GHZ on an AC68U. Another AC68U seems to be OK. Was wondering if the first was having a 2.4 GHZ radio failure.
Yes...that’s the firmware version I have. But I noticed this issue at least a couple of versions back...I gave it time to see if it got fixed on future updates, but it hasn’t.

Hi, try fix Control Channel = 11 and Channel bandwidth = 20 MHz
I”ve tried different channels 1,6,11 ...but I live in the country and my neighbors are pretty far away so I dont have issues with interference.

Did Asus change the wireless driver for your model, somewhere between the last firmware version you said worked fine and now. You'll have to check the release notes.

Did Asus change the wireless driver for your model, somewhere between the last firmware version you said worked fine and now. You'll have to check the release notes.
I hope they didn’t. At 2.4 I get 30-35 Mbps As soon as I switch to 5ghz I get 50+.
I understand that 5ghz will give me higher bandwidth...but before I would get the same speeds on both.

I have done a test enabling the wifi on my ISP modem which is further away in the back room and when I connect to it's 2.4ghz, I get the 50 Mbps range..high 48-50s... but when I connect to the Asus's 2.4ghz which is a lot closer to me, I get 30-35 Mbps... something is not right.

Are you using the same channels on both routers for the 2.4GHz band? What bandwidth are they set to? What channels?

Remember that it is not what the client 'sees' as the AP's around it, it is what the router 'sees' as the main limiter of the performance possible (in other words; ignore any 'app' that shows what channel to use). Maybe simply switching the channels used between the two will help.

Problem with using apps to find the best channel is routers often switch channels at will so finding a clear channel likely wont be clear or the best for very long.

I have tried different channels 1,6,11 and I get the same results. But as I have mentioned on a previous post, I live in the boonies (countryside) which means my neighbors are far away from me, so I don't have an issue with interference. Even if I stand right next to the router, I only get 30-35 Mbps max on this Asus. It wasn't like this before until recent updates.

The reason I tested out the wifi on the ISP modem is to see if the 2.4 ghz was some how getting interfered by something, but it's not..it works great...just not on the Asus.

Maybe time to do an M&M reset again?

Try testing to see if using a 'Guest' SSID (one that has never been used/seen before by your testing client devices) will give you full speed first.

did the M&M and selected Initialize all the settings, and clear all the data log for AiProtection, Traffic Analyzer, and Web History. - nothing.. once the router came back and was fully functional... did a speed test on 2.4.. still get 30-35 Mbps using all 3 wireless phones and they all provide the same speeds... the 5 Ghz goes over 55 Mbps.

Also tried the guest network.. same thing.

It'd be time to post your 2.5 wireless settings from the general and pro pages. Almost has to be something in the settings.

Depends on how the router was reset and then (re)configured. :)

It was reset and I selected the option that said....”Initialize all the settings, and clear all the data log for AiProtection, Traffic Analyzer, and Web History.“

Also...after the last reset...I only configured the wifi password...I even left the factory ssid alone. Still in the 30s on 2.4

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!