What's new

Lower WAN speed on PC vs mobile?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Muis

Occasional Visitor
My ISP WAN speed is 80 mbps. And when I run a speedtest from the phone, I get the full 80 mbps. So far, so good.

But when I run that speedtest from my desktop PC's I get around 40 mbps. The logical explanation would be that they have worse wifi adaptors (although they are very recent Intel NUC's), old drivers, etc.

But when I test the speed between the two PC's the LAN read/write speeds are around 60 mbps. And the data even has to travel through the air twice in this case.

So I guess that proofs that 40 mbps is not their limit, otherwise they wouldn't be able to achieve 60 mbps in LAN.

Could there be any logical explanation for this?

Many possible explanations, of course.

Try rebooting into a 'Safe' environment w/networking, and see if you get expected speeds then.

You can also share the details of your testing equipment, and phone, and router too.

Will help us guessing those millions of possibilities. :p

If I reboot them in Linux Mint, I get the same (low) speeds. So different OS, different drivers, same result. They are a Intel NUC 11 Pro (with Wifi 6 adaptor) and Intel NUC 7 (with Wifi 5/AC adaptor). The phone is a Google Pixel 5 also with Wifi 5/AC.

The router is an AC66U running John's fork. It really seems like the router is giving my phone higher priority than my desktops, but everything related to that (like QOS) is disabled.

Which adaptors specifically? What driver versions?

When was the last time your RT-AC66U was fully reset?

What options, features, and scripts are you running on the router?

Try using a new SSID (that you've never used/connected to before) in the Guest network and see if the slow, speeds up.

And when I run a speedtest from the phone, I get the full 80 mbps. So far, so good.

But when I run that speedtest from my desktop PC's I get around 40 mbps.

Check the link speeds in router's GUI.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!