What's new

[Lyra aka Hivespot] Anyone have hardware specifications?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FeeNiX

New Around Here
I'm on the cusp of buying a new router, and have been leaning toward the Rapture GT-5300. However I just heard about Lyra. I have been looking for internal specs, but so far haven't been able to find anything about the CPU installed inside. I'm asking because I need my new router to support OpenVPN client mode so I can use a VPN service.

Here is what I know so far:
1) Lyra can act as a VPN Server Source
2) Lyra supports VPN connections. (It doesn't specify client mode specifically, so I don't know if this is a pass-through situation.) Source

What I don't know is if the hardware is up to the task of encryption/decryption for a VPN connection service. I also don't know what "code base" it is using, so I don't know if Merlin will be supporting it.

Any thoughts on this? Amazon claims it will be released on July 21st, so I'm surprised how little information I can actually find.

Lyra runs Asuswrt. I have no plans to support it, totally different hardware from what Asuswrt-Merlin supports.

Most all mesh systems run on Qualcomm's platform. Design will be similar to Google Wi-Fi, eero, etc.

Most all mesh systems run on Qualcomm's platform. Design will be similar to Google Wi-Fi, eero, etc.

I would probably exclude Google's WiFi stuff from that general statement - they use some of QCA's mesh SDK at a WiFi chip driver level, but the software stack is completely different - it's basically a chromeOS device, and cros has it's own concepts of routing - esp. now that ChromeOS is doing some very interesting things with the Android container for Chromebooks that support Android apps...

I'm asking because I need my new router to support OpenVPN client mode so I can use a VPN service.

You mean you want... because it's convenient. That's not a "need"...

A VPN client can be set on any node within the network, it doesn't have to be the router...

A VPN client can be set on any node within the network, it doesn't have to be the router...

Client != Server. If you need to route traffic through it, it must be run either on the same client device, or on an upstream router. The former is not always possible, for instance when dealing with a media streamer or another similar type of embedded device.

I would probably exclude Google's WiFi stuff from that general statement
I should have said hardware platform. eero also would say they don't use Qualcomm's Wi-Fi SON out of the box.

I'm on the cusp of buying a new router, and have been leaning toward the Rapture GT-5300.
However I just heard about Lyra. I have been looking for internal specs, but so far haven't
been able to find anything about the CPU installed inside.
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_GT-AC5300
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_Lyra ;)

I should have said hardware platform. eero also would say they don't use Qualcomm's Wi-Fi SON out of the box.
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Qualcomm_SON :)

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!