What's new

Malware Filter / bad host IPSET

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I don't come from an older version of Merlin, the version I installed is the first installation.
However I try a factory reset.

I don't come from an older version of Merlin, the version I installed is the first installation.
However I try a factory reset.
Ok good luck.... the problem is not the malware script anyway.... thats just behaving according to what the router is telling it.

I discovered where is the problem!
After a factory reset I restored the settings of the router to connect via ssh.
I connected to the router by ssh and I gave the command
Code:
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# ipset -v
ipset v6.29, protocol version: 6
the version of ipset is 6.29

After this i restore the jffs partition, rI rebooted rhe router and I gave the command
Code:
ipset -v
ipset v4.5, protocol version 4.
ipset v4.5: Kernel ip_set module is of protocol version 6.I'm of protocol version 4.
Please upgrade your kernel and/or ipset(8) utillity.
and i obtained the first error.
I can understand the the problem is the installation of Entware

I discovered where is the problem!
After a factory reset I restored the settings of the router to connect via ssh.
I connected to the router by ssh and I gave the command
Code:
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# ipset -v
ipset v6.29, protocol version: 6
the version of ipset is 6.29

After this i restore the jffs partition, rI rebooted rhe router and I gave the command
Code:
ipset -v
ipset v4.5, protocol version 4.
ipset v4.5: Kernel ip_set module is of protocol version 6.I'm of protocol version 4.
Please upgrade your kernel and/or ipset(8) utillity.
and i obtained the first error.
I can understand the the problem is the installation of Entware
Did you install the correct version of entware?... there is a version for MIPS routers and one for ARM routers.... you need the ARM version for your AC68U

I installed mc, and the package was downloaded from the arm repository.
However i just remove ipset4 using the command you suggested.
Now I'm running the script and seem it is running,
Code:
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/mnt/sda1/entware-ng.arm/bin# ./malware-block.sh
insmod: can't insert '/lib/modules/2.6.36.4brcmarm/kernel/net/netfilter/ipset/ip_set.ko': File exists
/opt/var/cache/malware-filter/malware-list.tmp        59%[=====================================================================>                                                ]  96.00K  --.-KB/s   in 31s   
/opt/var/cache/malware-filter/malware-list.tmp       100%[=====================================================================================================================>] 160.31K   278KB/s   in 0.6s   
/opt/var/cache/malware-filter/malware-list.tmp           [ <=>                                                                                                                  ]   2.12K  --.-KB/s   in 0s     
/opt/var/cache/malware-filter/malware-list.tmp           [ <=>                                                                                                                  ]  10.88K  --.-KB/s   in 0.03s 
/opt/var/cache/malware-filter/malware-list.tmp       100%[=====================================================================================================================>]  15.20K  14.6KB/s   in 1.0s   
/opt/var/cache/malware-filter/malware-list.tmp       100%[=====================================================================================================================>]  27.24K   174KB/s   in 0.2s   
/opt/var/cache/malware-filter/malware-list.tmp       100%[=====================================================================================================================>]  57.96K  --.-KB/s   in 0.07s 
/opt/var/cache/malware-filter/malware-list.tmp       100%[=====================================================================================================================>]  19.09K  --.-KB/s   in 0.001s
adding ipset rule to firewall this will take time.
system: Malware Filter loaded 19813
unique ip addresses.
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/mnt/sda1/entware-ng.arm/bin# /usr/sbin/iptables -L FORWARD -v -n
Chain FORWARD (policy DROP 0 packets, 0 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination         
    0     0 REJECT     all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            match-set malware-filter src,dst reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
  712 42176 TCPMSS     tcp  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            tcpflags: 0x06/0x02 TCPMSS clamp to PMTU
13054 3520K ACCEPT     all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
    0     0 logdrop    all  --  !br0   ppp0    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           
    0     0 logdrop    all  --  !br0   eth0    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           
    0     0 logdrop    all  --  eth0   *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            state INVALID
    0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  br0    br0     0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           
    0     0 SECURITY   all  --  ppp0   *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           
 1178 76864 NSFW       all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           
    0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            ctstate DNAT
 1178 76864 ACCEPT     all  --  br0    *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/mnt/sda1/entware-ng.arm/bin#

I installed mc, and the package was downloaded from the arm repository.
However i just remove ipset4 using the command you suggested.
Now I'm running the script and seem it is running,
Code:
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/mnt/sda1/entware-ng.arm/bin# ./malware-block.sh
insmod: can't insert '/lib/modules/2.6.36.4brcmarm/kernel/net/netfilter/ipset/ip_set.ko': File exists
/opt/var/cache/malware-filter/malware-list.tmp        59%[=====================================================================>                                                ]  96.00K  --.-KB/s   in 31s  
/opt/var/cache/malware-filter/malware-list.tmp       100%[=====================================================================================================================>] 160.31K   278KB/s   in 0.6s  
/opt/var/cache/malware-filter/malware-list.tmp           [ <=>                                                                                                                  ]   2.12K  --.-KB/s   in 0s    
/opt/var/cache/malware-filter/malware-list.tmp           [ <=>                                                                                                                  ]  10.88K  --.-KB/s   in 0.03s
/opt/var/cache/malware-filter/malware-list.tmp       100%[=====================================================================================================================>]  15.20K  14.6KB/s   in 1.0s  
/opt/var/cache/malware-filter/malware-list.tmp       100%[=====================================================================================================================>]  27.24K   174KB/s   in 0.2s  
/opt/var/cache/malware-filter/malware-list.tmp       100%[=====================================================================================================================>]  57.96K  --.-KB/s   in 0.07s
/opt/var/cache/malware-filter/malware-list.tmp       100%[=====================================================================================================================>]  19.09K  --.-KB/s   in 0.001s
adding ipset rule to firewall this will take time.
system: Malware Filter loaded 19813
unique ip addresses.
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/mnt/sda1/entware-ng.arm/bin# /usr/sbin/iptables -L FORWARD -v -n
Chain FORWARD (policy DROP 0 packets, 0 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination        
    0     0 REJECT     all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            match-set malware-filter src,dst reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
  712 42176 TCPMSS     tcp  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            tcpflags: 0x06/0x02 TCPMSS clamp to PMTU
13054 3520K ACCEPT     all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
    0     0 logdrop    all  --  !br0   ppp0    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0          
    0     0 logdrop    all  --  !br0   eth0    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0          
    0     0 logdrop    all  --  eth0   *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            state INVALID
    0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  br0    br0     0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0          
    0     0 SECURITY   all  --  ppp0   *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0          
 1178 76864 NSFW       all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0          
    0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            ctstate DNAT
 1178 76864 ACCEPT     all  --  br0    *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0          
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/mnt/sda1/entware-ng.arm/bin#
Ah ok....if you had the entware ipset4 utility package installed that would be the cause..... you don't need this as it is already in the firmware (for ipset6)

I didn't install ipset4 package, it was installed automatically by the installation of entware.
I have an other question to which I need an answer, how can I set the script so that start on boot of the router.
I thought to add the script in /jffs/scripts but it does not run on boot start.
The other solution I thought is to add the scritp in admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/mnt/sda1/entware-ng.arm/etc/init.d
What is the correct way?

I didn't install ipset4 package, it was installed automatically by the installation of entware.
I have an other question to which I need an answer, how can I set the script so that start on boot of the router.
I thought to add the script in /jffs/scripts but it does not run on boot start.
The other solution I thought is to add the scritp in admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/mnt/sda1/entware-ng.arm/etc/init.d
What is the correct way?

The wiki at: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Using-ipset gives the recommended method for starting it on boot using merlin firmware. You need to create/edit the /jffs/scripts/services-start script.
Here is a sample of my services-start, which runs the malware-block script and schedules it to run & update every day at 11:45am & pm.
Code:
#!/bin/sh
/jffs/scripts/malware-block
# Schedule the malware-block to run every day at 11:45am/pm
cru a malware-filter "45 11,23 * * * /jffs/scripts/malware-block"

@myname how did you end up with ipset4 on that model ? did you have an old /jffs/ that was from another brand or something ? or was it and old jffs from before it got updated ?

Revision 14

Changelog:
  • Implemented failover path

Code:
#!/bin/sh
# Author: Toast
# Contributers: Octopus, Tomsk, Neurophile, jimf, spalife
# Testers: shooter40sw
# Revision 14
path=/opt/var/cache/malware-filter                      # Set your path here
retries=3                                               # Set number of tries here
regexp=`echo "\b([0-9]{1,3}\.){3}[0-9]{1,3}\b"`         # Dont change this value
case $(ipset -v | grep -oE "ipset v[0-9]") in
*v6) # Value for ARM Routers
    MATCH_SET='--match-set'
    HASH='hash:ip'
    SYNTAX='add'
    SWAPPED='swap'
    DESTROYED='destroy'
    OPTIONAL='family inet hashsize 2048 maxelem 65536'
     ipsetv=6
     lsmod | grep "xt_set" > /dev/null 2>&1 || \
     for module in ip_set ip_set_hash_net ip_set_hash_ip xt_set
     do
          insmod $module
     done
;;
*v4) # Value for Mips Routers
    MATCH_SET='--set'
    HASH='iphash'
    SYNTAX='-q -A'
    SWAPPED='-W'
    DESTROYED='--destroy'
    OPTIONAL=''
    ipsetv=4
     lsmod | grep "ipt_set" > /dev/null 2>&1 || \
     for module in ip_set ip_set_nethash ip_set_iphash ipt_set
     do
          insmod $module
     done
;;
esac
get_source () {
url=https://gitlab.com/swe_toast/malware-filter/raw/master/malware-filter.list
if [ ! -f $path/malware-filter.list ]
then wget $url -O $path/malware-filter.list; fi }
check_path () {
if [ ! -d "$path" ]; then
     path='/tmp'
     echo "path is not found using $path using as failover"
     check_failover
else check_failover; fi }
check_failover () {
if [ ! -d "$path" ]; then
     echo "failed to set failover path"
     exit 1
else get_source; fi }
get_source () {
        mkdir -p $path
        wget -q --tries=$retries --show-progress -i $path/malware-filter.list -O $path/malware-list.tmp
        awk '!/(^127\.)|(^10\.)|(^172\.1[6-9]\.)|(^172\.2[0-9]\.)|(^172\.3[0-1]\.)|(^192\.168\.)/' $path/malware-list.tmp > $path/malware-list.pre
        cat $path/malware-list.pre | grep -oE "$regexp" | sort -u >$path/malware-filter.blocklist
        if [ -f $path/malware-list.tmp ]; then rm $path/malware-list.tmp; fi
        if [ -f $path/malware-list.pre ]; then rm $path/malware-list.pre; fi
 }
run_ipset () {
check_path
echo "adding ipset rule to firewall this will take time."
ipset -L malware-filter >/dev/null 2>&1
if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
    if [ "$(ipset --swap malware-filter malware-filter 2>&1 | grep -E 'Unknown set|The set with the given name does not exist')" != "" ]; then
    nice -n 2 ipset -N malware-filter $HASH $OPTIONAL
    if [ -f /opt/bin/xargs ]; then
    /opt/bin/xargs -P10 -I "PARAM" -n1 -a $path/malware-filter.blocklist nice -n 2 ipset $SYNTAX malware-filter PARAM
    else cat $path/malware-filter.blocklist | xargs -I {} ipset $SYNTAX malware-filter {}; fi
fi
else
    nice -n 2 ipset -N malware-update $HASH $OPTIONAL
    if [ -f /opt/bin/xargs ]; then
    /opt/bin/xargs -P10 -I "PARAM" -n1 -a $path/malware-filter.blocklist nice -n 2 ipset $SYNTAX malware-update PARAM
    else cat $path/malware-filter.blocklist | xargs -I {} ipset $SYNTAX malware-update {}; fi
    nice -n 2 ipset $SWAPPED malware-update malware-filter
    nice -n 2 ipset $DESTROYED malware-update
fi
iptables -L | grep malware-filter > /dev/null 2>&1
if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
    nice -n 2 iptables -I FORWARD -m set $MATCH_SET malware-filter src,dst -j REJECT
else
    nice -n 2 iptables -D FORWARD -m set $MATCH_SET malware-filter src,dst -j REJECT
    nice -n 2 iptables -I FORWARD -m set $MATCH_SET malware-filter src,dst -j REJECT
fi
}
run_ipset
logger -s -t system "Malware Filter loaded $(cat $path/malware-filter.blocklist | wc -l) unique ip addresses."
exit $?

@myname how did you end up with ipset4 on that model ? did you have an old /jffs/ that was from another brand or something ? or was it and old jffs from before it got updated ?

Hello swetoast,
I end up with ipset4 installing enteware. Non I didn't have any old jffs on my router, I installed Merlin 380.65 for the first time. I solved uninstalling the ipset4, and after this everything goes well.

hehe yeah dont install ipset via entware :) thats just not good at all there is a perfectly fine ipset shipped with the firmware, my scripts sorts themselves if they need something installed etc.

The wiki at: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Using-ipset gives the recommended method for starting it on boot using merlin firmware. You need to create/edit the /jffs/scripts/services-start script.
Here is a sample of my services-start, which runs the malware-block script and schedules it to run & update every day at 11:45am & pm.
Code:
#!/bin/sh
/jffs/scripts/malware-block
# Schedule the malware-block to run every day at 11:45am/pm
cru a malware-filter "45 11,23 * * * /jffs/scripts/malware-block"
Hello Cedarhillguy, installng entware, there is a script services-start, I added the line pointing to my scrips malware-block.sh, and I solved.
Thaks.

wtf no it should not unless you used some goofy guide to install instead of the official way, basically it should only install

Configuring ldconfig.
Configuring libgcc.
Configuring libc.
Configuring libssp.
Configuring findutils.

and OPKG

@myname entware isnt a requirement for my scripts

urgh that site is shirt imho outdated crap always ask before doing random guides who knows what your installing if you keep that up.

my recommendation is to redo your /jffs/ and entware installation to ensure your doing it right