What's new

Manage VPN client connections using voice assistant

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ebr4him

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I use ExpressVPN and NordVPN on ASUS AX86U (Merlin) and I frequently need need to reconnect or switch VPN client or sometimes even turn off to access local content. Its really a hassle to do it through the admin UI each time and Router app isn't installed on all phones and tablets in the house.

I wonder if there's a way to automate this via the voice assistant so anyone in the house can control this? Or maybe map the external router buttons for some of these use cases?

Thanks

What you're essentially asking for is the ability to take was intended to be a "static" configuration, and make it "dynamic".

As I've said many times before, although it's technically possible to change the router configuration in real-time, that's neither the intent nor is it recommended. The router is intended to be configured as needed, rebooted, and LEFT ALONE! Once you introduce changes on a running system, you risk anomalies that make the system less stable, and behavior less predictable.

Even for those that claim the need for such dynamic behavior, I suspect in many cases it's actually an unwarranted requirement based on an improperly configured static configuration. Case and point; maybe you shouldn't be hosting the OpenVPN client on the router, but the client itself (PC or smartphone)!

And btw, I'm NOT sure what you mean by having to disable the VPN to gain local access. Once again, this sounds like a misconfiguration more than a legitimate need.

I realize that some ppl are going to pursue this type of approach no matter what I say. But it *might* be worth discussing exactly what your issues are, in detail, in case it can be more easily resolved w/ a properly configured "static" configuration. That would not only solve the problems, but eliminate further complicating your router management w/ voice control or other forms of automation. I would at least attempt that FIRST.

JMTC

Last edited:
What you're essentially asking for is the ability to take was intended to be a "static" configuration, and make it "dynamic".
Oh hardly. I'm looking for a way to do whats already possible but via easier means instead of going through the Admin UI which not everyone in the house has access to.

The router is intended to be configured as needed, rebooted, and LEFT ALONE!
Eh, I didn't buy a $400 dumb box. I believe my AX86U has a decent processing power and is capable of handling the router related tasks efficiently even if means turning the switch on/off a couple times.
Even for those that claim the need for such dynamic behavior, I suspect in many cases it's actually an unwarranted requirement based on an improperly configured static configuration
The config is correct and it works but you often need to reconnect or switch to a different region (profile) once the server is saturated otherwise the connection becomes too unstable and speed is so slow that you get buffering every few mins.

Case and point; maybe you shouldn't be hosting the OpenVPN client on the router, but the client itself (PC or smartphone)!
Yea, nah. Incorrect assumption again. There's no VPN client on Apple TV!
And btw, I'm NOT sure what you mean by having to disable the VPN to gain local access. Once again, this sounds like a misconfiguration more than a legitimate need.
And once again, incorrect assumption. Local access as in I'm in a different country so if I don't disable the VPN I can't access local content.

When you leave out such details in your original post, and only make overly broad statements in justifying your requirements, we have no choice but to make assumptions until you do. I'm glad you've now provided those details.

make overly broad statements in justifying your requirements, we have no choice but to make assumptions until you do
Nope, I didn't make any statements. I just asked a simple question and provide enough details, and I don't even need to justify my requirements. You probably need to stop making assumptions though.

Nope, I didn't make any statements. I just asked a simple question and provide enough details, and I don't even need to justify my requirements. You probably need to stop making assumptions though.

This forum is used by all kinds of users, from the most naïve, to the highly skilled, w/ years of experience, and everything in between. No one here knows who you are and where you fit on that spectrum. For those w/ lesser skills, it's very common for them to misconfigure their router and network, then inquire about all kinds of convoluted and unnecessary changes to fix what was a relatively simple misconfiguration or two. THAT is why knowing the rationale for your requirements matters and is relevant! No one wants to invest time solving the wrong problem. At least I certainly don't. So I ask questions to determine if in fact you *do* need such automation, to save us both a lot of time and energy if you actually don't.

The issue is moot at this point. You're determined to pursue automation for your own reasons, which is your prerogative. I hope you find what you're looking for. There are a lot of smart ppl on these forums who surely have more direct experience than me.

Good luck.

Last edited: