What's new

Managed Switch Between ONT and router, mesh nodes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ultimax1

New Around Here
Due to the wiring of my house, I'm thinking of putting a managed switch (TPLink TL-3210) between the ONT and my Asus routers. The routers will be set to AiMesh with ethernet backhaul. I understand that my ONT only provides IP address to 1 device. Is my setup possible? Greatly appreciate if any networking experts can provide some help here.

That doesn't seem possible, with the expected performance increase, too, from having a wired AiMesh setup.

How many Ethernet runs are coming down to where the ONT is?

How many of those runs go to the same room as one of the routers?

The room, which has two or more, is where the main router will be located. The other cable will be brought downstairs into a switch and where the other router will be connected as a node.

No 'managed' switches necessary.

That doesn't seem possible, with the expected performance increase, too, from having a wired AiMesh setup.

How many Ethernet runs are coming down to where the ONT is?

How many of those runs go to the same room as one of the routers?

The room, which has two or more, is where the main router will be located. The other cable will be brought downstairs into a switch and where the other router will be connected as a node.

No 'managed' switches necessary.
Thanks for your reply. Every room has one Ethernet run to where the ONT is located, so no room has two or more ethernet connections. So if I have to connect my main router to the ONT directly, it means that it has to be placed in the same location as the ONT. Reason why I rather not do this is because the ONT is located in the yard, which kinda means that my best performing router will be underutilized. But if that's the only option, I guess I just have to do that.

In the yard? Why didn't you build a room around it or, move the house over a bit? :)

These are the issues that come up when customers tell me they'll 'never' need more than one run into any one area.

In all central locations, and any room used for entertainment or office use, I suggest ten runs or more, on each floor/level of the home. The cable is cheap, particularly when you can run it yourself. Ripping walls out and having to live with less-than-optimal Wi-Fi performance is a waste.

Why ten runs? To have a router with up to eight ports up there (in use), with the WAN also connected, and the option to use Port aggregation too.

Last edited:
Odd place for the ONT port.

I'm guessing that WiFi is wanted in the yard as well? Put your Router at the ONT for yard wifi and a mesh or AP in one of your central rooms to cover the rest of the house (using the wired connection as your back haul). If WiFi is not needed in the yard, pick up a non wireless router/switch for the ONT location.

draw us a roughly scaled plan view picture of the physical layout and cabling type starting at the ONT, please.

Thanks for everyone's input! I have decided to just put my main router in the yard since a managed switch can't work directly with the ONT.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!