What's new

Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bodean

Very Senior Member
I have 8 devices at home that have a static IP. What is the pro's/cons' for putting these devices in the manually assigned IP around the DHCP list? Whether I have them in there or not, they are still static ips, so not really seeing the reason to add anything to this list.

Static IP's should be outside of the DHCP scope... that way you don't run into conflicts

As an example, if DHCP scope is 192.168.1.100 - 150 - a static IP should be above or below that range.

Reserved IP's can be within the DHCP scope - which some folks confuse with true Static IP's - the vendors don't help much here as some mislabel that setting.

In addition to what sfx2000 said;

What is the reason to chose one method over the other? It just comes down to how you prefer to administer your network devices. Some people like to statically set the IP address, netmask and gateway on each device. Other people (like myself) prefer to administer these settings from a single central location. It's just personal preference.

I would mention one additional thing I like about using the DHCP method; I have quite a few devices (android phones, TV's, etc.) that have stupid host names that you can't change. By using the router's manual assignment you can give them a sensible name on your LAN, like petes-phone or lounge-tv.

An advantage of statically assigning information on each device is that they are not so dependent on the router working to communicate with each other. If all the devices are connected to a simple switch you still have some sort of LAN, albeit without internet connectivity (or probably DNS).

Last edited:
In addition to what sfx2000 said;

What is the reason to chose one method over the other? It just comes down to how you prefer to administer your network devices. Some people like to statically set the IP address, netmask and gateway on each device. Other people (like myself) prefer to administer these settings from a single central location. It's just personal preference.

Another reason is that we have found some Audio/Visual components whose static IP Address assignment is unstable. Sometimes although the A/V component says it has a static address, a network scan still shows it at the DHCP-assigned location. Other times one particular A/V component loses the static assignment every time it is powered down to "standby" and assumes a different address when powered up again.

All in all, a reservation in the router is more reliable in the 20 or so installations we have around St. Louis.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!